New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enterprise Virtual Array EVA 5000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Igor Sovin
Super Advisor

Enterprise Virtual Array EVA 5000

Hi all !

I have 2 Virtual Arrays in different buildings and Continious Access between them installed.
I found that there is an opportunity of making FAILOVER (in Management Appliance Web interface) in case if one of the EVAs fails.
But in this case I have to do it manualy by pressing button "FAILOVER" in Managemet Appliance.
Is there any another way to do it automaticaly without administrator's participation ?
Can I do that from SSSU ?
5 REPLIES 5
Igor Sovin
Super Advisor

And one more quetion

How to configure secure path propely to make secure path using alternative path to LUN on eva2 inspite of main path to the same LUN on eva1 in case of failure of the main path?

Igor
Erwin van Londen
Valued Contributor
Solution

Igor,

You're trying to automate the failover process and that's not a clever way of working. You might get unpredictible results. If for instance the management appliance is unable to connect to the HOME site this would automaticaly failover to your destination site. If other hosts can connect to the HOME site you have the same LUN's twice. You can imagine this screwes things up. My best advice is "ALLWAYS DO MANUAL FAILOVERS" and let a human beeing make the decision of how and when to do failovers.

Regards,
Erwin van Londen
HP Master ASE SAN Architect.
https://erwinvanlonden.net
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

If you are only using HP-UX, then ServiceGuard MetroCluster provides automated failover using CA with the XP storage. I thought I saw that it had been announced with the EVA, but I can't find anything on the HP web site. Maybe it is coming soon. I would check with your HP rep if HP-UX if all you have are HP-UX servers connected.
Mom 6
Igor Sovin
Super Advisor

Yes I'm using HP-UX 11.23 on all servers
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

MetroCluster for HP-UX 11.11 with the EVA might become available soon. I would guess that it could be 3 to 6 months after that to get support for 11.23. However, sometimes there are issues and software slips, so I suggest you look at ServiceGuard MetroCluster using CA for the XP to understand the functionality of that product(http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/4181-0-0-0-121.aspx). If it looks like that is what you want, then I would suggest you contact your HP rep to get a confidential disclosure briefing of support for MetroCluster on 11.23 with the EVA for more detail.
Mom 6