1753427 Members
4778 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Error on CommandView EVA install

Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

Error on CommandView EVA install

I am trying to build a new CommandView EVA host to replace an ageing set of Management Appliances.

I have built a new Windows 2003 SP2 server (on a Dell server no less but that shouldnтАЩt be an issue should it?) and am trying to install CommandView EVA V7 or V8 on it. Both installations fail with тАЬThis application has failed to start because OvLicV5Capi_VC8.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.тАЭ Reinstalling is not fixing this problem!

Looking at my old SMA, this file/folder exists and, during the installation, I see the folder get created, then it disappears again!

I tried the CV7 install on a new Win2003 SP2 VM and it installed fine but obviously this is no good because of the lack of SAN connectivity in that environment. Thus IтАЩm using a newly built server. Installing on the VM proves to me that CommandView will install on a system with no fibre channel cards installed.

I have logged a call with hp support but so far IтАЩm not getting anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Malcolm
12 REPLIES 12
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, I suppose you already have solved it, but I'll copy the solution so it's available for anyone with the same issue:

Application popup: cveva.exe - Unable To Locate DLL : The dynamic link library OvLicV5Capi_VC8.dll could not be found in the specified path

Windows service does not recognize a Windows environment variable change:

AutoPass installer appends the '\lib' directory to PATH environment variable.

A Windows service can't recognize this change on Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 systems until the system is restarted.

The Windows 2003 systems should be installed with KB887693 hotfix from Microsoft to avert this issue.

There is no hotfix available for Windows 2000 systems and a restart is necessary
Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the advice; I ended up base installing Win2003 with SP1 and before anything else, installed CV7 with no problems enountered.

Since then I have applied the Win2003 SP2 update plus applied our local settings, again with no issues.

If I see the issue again I'll look to the patch you sugested.

Thanks,
Malcolm
David J. Nelson
Advisor

So I just tried to install CV9.1 on a Windows 2008 server and it pukes the same error about OvLicV5Capi_VC8.dll.

Has anyone had success with this yet? The documentation says Windows 2008 is supported!?
Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

Unfortunately I got nowhere with this. Hp were "unable to reproduce my problem"! Most unhelpful.

I ended up starting with a new Win2003 SP1 system and before applying any of my local mods (SP2, domain integration, virus scan, backup s/w etc) I installed CV v8 which worked fine.

After applying the v8.01 and v8.02 upgrades I then applied SP2 and my local mods with no issues.

All has worked fine since EXCEPT of course, I now a v9.01 upgrade in the wings which I'm loathed to apply give it'll probably break CV again.
hpite
Frequent Advisor

I find that using SmartStart for EVA is a great way to install Command View. (Of course SmartStart only works for EVA 4400 and Windows)

The current version of SamrtStart which you can download from the software depot as an iso image can be used to install Command View 9.01. It checks for all the prerequisites and installs them if necessary. Just makes it easier. (also SmartStart does not install itself which is great)

PS: I have not seen official HP endorsement that Command View can be installed on Windows Server 2008.

Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

the HP StorageWorks Enterprise Virtual Array compatibility reference manual, ref: http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01733112/c01733112.pdf section 4.1 refers to Supported software on management servers and the management module and indicates the following OS's for CommandView:

Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard and Enterprise Editions SP1/SP2/R2 (x86 32-bit or x64 64-bit); Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard and Enterprise Editions (x86 32-bit or x64 64-bit)
hpite
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Malcom. Somehow I missed that update on the compatibility reference.
hpite
Frequent Advisor

Hi Malcom,

I happened to read in the release notes for CV 9.1 that "The HP Command View EVA software suite 9.1 supports upgrades from HP Command View EVA 8.x.x and 9.0.0/9.0.1."

So you could upgrade to 9.1?
Malcolm Wade
Valued Contributor

I did a test upgrade on a VM server I use for just this sort of testing and it might say it supports an "upgrade", but when you start the upgrade process it actually says it's found an old version, automatically de-installs it, then reboots and continues on!!

The same thing happended between v7 and v8.