5915 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Estimated time to create a 100 Gb Volume group

Carter Jay
Advisor

Estimated time to create a 100 Gb Volume group

Hello,

I'm actually creating a 100 Gb (96 in fact) VG on a HP 11.0 UX, 9000, L2000 on all the array disks (8*18.6 Gb Hot spare), no mirroring. I've created 1 D/V with the array console of 96 Gb (seen as LUN 96 Gb disk) then launched the VG creation in SAM, with 2 48 Gb LV (and mount points). This is a 1 processor 433.
I've launched the process 2 days ago, but it is not yet finished.
As I've never created so big VGs (just created smaller, then extended), could someone give me an estimation of the time I have to wait (I've heard lots of versions ....).

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

Jerome
6 REPLIES 6
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Estimated time to create a 100 Gb Volume group

Hi

I have created volume groups and logical volumes (using SAM) much bigger then 100GB (250 and 300GB). I dont remember exact how long time this will take but it was minutes rather then days. Something in the creation process has hang for you. Today I run HP-UX 11.11 but I remember I had some problems with 11.0 and volume groups, mainly with extending volumes when it sometimes happends this process hanged.

Is it a hfs or a vxfs volume you create, a hfs volume will take longer time to create (but not 2 days).

I think the first you should look at is patches, is there any LVM patches you need to install.

Perhaps you should consider upgrading to 11.11 or 11.20. At least my experience is there is less problems with LVM in 11.11 then in 11.0.

Carter Jay
Advisor

Thanks a lot,

Do you think it could be a hardware problem (broken disk...), and do you know how to check for this.

Regards

Jerome
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

What type of array are you working with?
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi
I dont know which disk array you use but one metod is perhaps to reconfigure your array as a JBOD and create a volume group and logical volume on each disk. In this case you should get an indication if the problem is related to a single disk. If it not works with any disk the problem can be with the disk controller, OS, or SCSI bus. You can try with "dd if= of=/dev/null" to "read" the disk (this will perhaps take long time). And, if possible try with another disk.

Martin Johnson
Honored Contributor

Do a "ioscan -fnC disk" and see what you get. You disks should be CLAIMED.

I'm not sure 11.0 supports a 96GB disk. You may need multiple LUNs showing smaller disks.

HTH
Marty
Jim Butler
Valued Contributor

I had that problem - its a bug in the creation. To get the bug, I created the vg, and then created, and changed my mind about the lvols, etc and when I finally clicked start, it took forever - when I came in the next morning, it was still running, so I killed the process, started over and did one step at a time.

I was using sam, and shurstore 12H, with 18 gb disks. HP 11, all the latest patches (like Feb, march of this year).

I hope this helps
Man The Bilge Pumps!