1748059 Members
4999 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Event 9 - cpqarray1 array error then server hangs

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Event 9 - cpqarray1 array error then server hangs

I have experienced multiple situations with different hardware where an event is logged in the system log prior to a Windows 2000 Server hanging. At this time the server is unresponsive to commands and in some situations, the services on the server fail.
I have seen this on a Proliant 5500 with a Smart Array 3200 controller. The device, \Device\Scsi\Cpqarray1, did not respond within the timeout period. I found the following article identifying a potential fix for this as being a firmware upgrade on the 3200 controller. The article is http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/ex990921_cw01_0.html

The firmware was upgraded on the array controller and the error appeared to have dissappeared for a short period of time.

We are now seeing the same situation on a 5300 Array controller (Firmware Version 2.12) in a DL380. The error is the following: The device, \Device\Scsi\cpqcissm1, did not respond within the timeout period.

We have found numerous articles but none that clearly explain a resolution to these errors. In some situations the server will effectively lose functionality but no services are affected and thus, we never get monitoring alerts on the server. The following article sort of explains the hangs: http://www.compaq.com/support/techpubs/customer_advisories/EM010823_CW03_1.html

However, this article references a Microsoft article that explains that this issue occurs when using fiber. The servers that experience this error are not using fiber adapter cards.

We have now seen this issue on multiple array controllers (3200 and 5300) on multiple servers, Proliant 5500, DL380, and DL580. All servers that experience this issue are either Windows 2000 Server or Advanced Server.

My team has not been able to find an effective resolution to this issue and it continues to disturb us as we are constantly running into this issue which is affecting our business.

If someone could provide me with any help it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

snooge
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Event 9 - cpqarray1 array error then server hangs

Hi
Microsoft provides a hotfix for Windows 2000. It's new version of the scsiport.sys file . I should be released in SP3 but if you really have trouble, you shouldcontact them.
This file creates a "bottleneck" and generates the Time out Error

Hope it helps !
Vic