1748214 Members
3248 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expand Possible?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Expand Possible?

I have a Proliant 5500r 6/200 with a Smart 2-DH with 3 disk x 9,1 Gb per disk. Now this configuration has 2 partitios:
- C:\ Win NT System partition and \winnt\ directory
- D:\ Aplications various.

Today i need to add a new disk (9,1 Gb) for expand the RAID 5, not for create a new logical unit E:\ F:\. I need expand the RAID-5 that is actually configured.
It is possible?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Expand Possible?

Yes you can expand the array BUT with the 2dh you will get another logical drive under windwos nt but the drive is still part of the raid 5 set. If you want to expand the logical drive you will need a 3200 or similar controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

you can Expand the array, then create a new logical Drive in ACU (hardware), then if you partition D: is extended you can expand this drive and create a volume set in NT Disk Administrator.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This is to Echumo

I have the same issue. I have RAID 5 on the 2DH with 6x 9.1 G . How do I exactly add an extra 9.1 G to run the same but instead of adding an extra logical drive, I would like to increase the capacity of the E drive (with the extra drive).?

Should I not destroy the partition and create a new logical drive E and restore data from backups?
If so, what possible problems am I likely to encounter?
I run Compaq Proliant 3000 with 15/30G DLT tape drive.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had a similar problem with the smart-2 controller, wouldn't allow me to add more physical drives to the existing logical unit inside NT. Compaq techsupport told me expansion couldn't be done, only adding more new logical units, but here's what worked: Shutdown, install the new drives to the storage system, reboot to Bios (f10) and go into the array config utility (this program resides on the hidden setup partition, if it is not available use your Smartstart CD), you should now be able to add the drives to the existing logical unit you want it on. Reboot to NT. The RAID5 data should be being distributed accross the new disks, the drive access lights should be pretty active now. (it can take a while, longer if the server is online and in active use, which is ok). If you want to run the ACU in NT do it from the smartstart CD (the executable version is buried somewhere in there) that came with the server or Smart-2 controller.