Disk Enclosures
1748205 Members
4672 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Expand storage of MSA 1000 with MSA 30

Debra Hodgkins

Expand storage of MSA 1000 with MSA 30

I am looking for instructions on adding the MSA 30 to my MSA 1000. I have it physically connected, but am unsure as how to add the storage via the Array configuration Utility.
9 REPLIES 9
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

If the MSA30 is powered on, it's disks should appear in controller channel 3.
The MSA1000 has 2 SCSI connectors on the back, you just have to connect the MSA30 there. If the MSA30 is dual bus (2 connectors on the back) you need 2 cables.
Debra Hodgkins

Thanks, I completed this part. I am referrring to the Array configuration utility. I created a new array and assigned the drives. When I look at the SSP, I do not see any options for using the additional storage I just created.
Debra Hodgkins

Thanks, I completed this part. I am referrring to the Array configuration utility. I created a new array and assigned the drives. When I look at the SSP, I do not see any options for using the additional storage I just created. I also do not see the array in Disk Management of the server.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Have you created logical drives with the disks on the MSA30? You should see more columns on the SSP table.
Deb H
Occasional Advisor

Sorry, I am trying to reply but seem to be having problems with my userid. In any case, I did create a logical drive. I have an array A. There is an option to expand array A or create another array. What would be the pros or cons to doing either?
Deb H
Occasional Advisor

I added about 6 drives to the array. It is now expanding the first logical drive. I am betting it is going to be expanding the other 3 which is not really what I wanted. I only wanted to add the space to a particular logical drive.
Is there a way to stop this?
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

When you add more disks to an array, all logical drives are distributed among all disks, but their size does not change. Then you can use the available space to increase the size of an logical drive, it will not touch the others if you don't do it manually.
Once started the expansion or migration process you should wait for it to finish.
Deb H
Occasional Advisor

Great! I will wait until it is done and then see if I can attach it to the logical drive. Will let you know the results once it is finished.
Epronm

Following this post, I'm in the same situation that presents Deb H. I have a MSA1000 2/8 connected to two DL380G3 cluster, to which I have to add a MSA30 single route.
The firmware of my MSA1000 is as follows: EMU 1.86 and 4.32.B300 for the controller.

HP page (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=377751&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=377751&objectID=c00030857
) does not answer all my questions:

1. It is possible to make a connection with the MSA30 the MSA1000 on (hot), or is it better to connect the MSA30 with the MSA1000 off?. I found information about "415 STORAGE BOX #2 OR #3 HOT ADDED" event on MSA LCD.

2. Is this enough or need to update the firmware?. I see that I have to choose between A / C or A / P. ├В┬┐How do I know which type is the present?

3. From HP, I see the version 7 A or 5.20 A/P. Can I use the CD Maintence Firmware 8.30 CD to MSA upgrade , or is necessary I do in any special way (MSA1000 Support Sofftware CD ...).
I'd like to set the Array from ACU, Can I use the last SmartStar (8.30)?

Thank you for answers and advice.