108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding Raid 5-Drive?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Expanding Raid 5-Drive?

Hi,
is it possible to expand an existing Raid 5-Drive without creating
a new logical drive and this without loosing data and do it online.
We uses the SMART-2DH-Controller and NetWare 5.0

REGARDS
Klaus Tillenburg
6 REPLIES 6
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Expanding Raid 5-Drive?

The Smart-2DH controller only supports Physical Drive Expansion. This will show the disk as a new logical drive.

Duncan
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hello

I have just done the same thing in win2000 wuth a smart2 DH and like you say it shows up as a seperate logical drive. It also shows as a seperate drive in win 2000, so is it part of the array or not? The annoying thing is that I wanted to add it as a spare, but could not see how to do it, so iImade it part of the array, with a view to assigning it as a spare later. How should I have assigned it as a spare straight off, because now that is not possible without loosing data is it?

Thanks

Berni
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I have just belatedly read the rest of the forum and pretty much answered my own question. It is annoying not to be able to add a spare to the array though........

Berni
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes , it can be done using the Smart 2DH controller . You may need to upgrade the firmware on the controller if not at the latest version 4.44.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What about a ML370 with a SL431 array controller and all disks in one RAID5 array ? How can this be done if possible ?
thnx
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

So, my Smart 2-DH controller has v3.08 of the firm ware. If I were to update this to the most current version available. Would I be able to expansion a logical partition??? I have 3 9.1GB drives in a Raid 5 format, running TN 4.0. I want to add another 9.1GB drive to this scenario...