1751954 Members
4803 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Expanding disk capacity

Baetens Bart

Expanding disk capacity

Hi,
I'm running W2K-Sp3 on an ML530 (1000Mhz), with a Smart array 5300 controller (firmware 1.28)- 5 X 36.4 GB disks in RAID5. 2 partitions defined, system/boot partition + Data partition in 1 logical volume.
Now I want to add a 36.4 GB HDD to extend my data partition. I could successfull add the disk in the RAID5 using the HP-ACU.

The next steps I would do are (in order of appearance):
Extend the logical drive in the stripe set (using ACU)
W2K OS: update to latest service pack - patches
Server: Update flash ROM Proliant ML530 (P19)
W2K: update windows driver for Smartarray controller 5300
Update online ROM Flash for Smartarray controller 5300 - Reboot server
Update disk firmware ????
Diskpart.exe to expand D: partition to maximum available space in logical volume - Reboot server

Make Full backup before doing any of the above.

are these the right actions to do ?
I'm actually worried about the firware update of the different SCSI disks ? I'm not sure that's required or wether it will give me any benefits.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Bart.

2 REPLIES 2
KurtG
Regular Advisor

Re: Expanding disk capacity

I usally do the firmware and software patching before doing the extensions. I would also check the release notes for the most recent drivers and firmware. I'm not so sure that I would like to have the most recent patches for the Windows os. Latest servicepack should be enought unless you KNOW that you need a patch that is related to the disk subsystem.

The SMART controller should verbally let you know at boot time if you need to firmwareupgrades some og all of the disks. No need to do it unless it says so.

KurtG

Baetens Bart

Re: Expanding disk capacity

Thanks for the advice Mr. KurtG !

will do the upgrade early next week and let you know the result.

Nice day !
Bart.