New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extending External Disk array on Compaq DL380

SOLVED
Go to solution
philip_41
Occasional Contributor

Extending External Disk array on Compaq DL380

Hi

Can you clariy a few things for me. Currently I have six 32GB disks in the current array. I am running out of space. I have four spare 18GB drives. If I install these into the external array am I able to configure a 2nd logical array consisting of just 18GB's and not lose my existing array? Or should I get some more 32GB disks to extend my current array?

Thanks
Phil
2 REPLIES 2
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

Phil,
I don't know your exact hardware configuration. With 'external array' you mean an external disk drive enclosure that is connected to a SmartArray controller?

That should work. You create a new array and carve one or more new logical disks from it. You just cannot use that space to extend any logical disk in your first array.
philip_41
Occasional Contributor

Uwe

Thanks for the response. Yes it is an external disk drive enclosure device connected via a SmartArray Controller that has 10 disk slots. I am currently using 6 of the slots (the 32GBdisks). I guess with the cost of each 32GB HDD being $300 I'll build a 2nd logical disk array with the 18GB disks I have spare and split my Databases over the two logical drives. Don't want my company saying I don't know how to save them money!

Cheers
Phil