1752793 Members
6169 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Extending a SmartArray 431 in Windows 2000

RAY BECKWITH
Occasional Contributor

Extending a SmartArray 431 in Windows 2000

I have ready many threads on this issue in the forums and I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer to my issue so I'm hoping someone can answer my specific question.

First my configuration.
ML370 G2
SmartArray 431 Controller
SA Driver File Version 5.14.0.0
Sa Firmware Version 1.24 Hardware Rev A
RAID 5 config with 4 drives
Windows 2000 SP4
ACU Version 2.90 A

ACU Firmware and drivers should be all the latest, downloaded and installed last week.

Based on reading some posts on increasing RAID space, we ordered 4 - 36GB drives to replace the 4 - 18GB drives in our array, planning to hot-swap them one at a time and then use the additional space for additional storage. The drive swaps went great and we now have 54GB of unused space available.

The question that I can't get a consistent answer to is, Can I safely use the ACU to Extend the logical drive with my current configuration without damaging my Windows installation (beyond the normal level of risk with any operation of this sort). I've read posts that seem to indicate it should work as long as Windows is at a minimum of SP3 and the drivers, firmware and ACU are updated but others say not and many of the pasts refer to different controllers and OS versions. Can anyone respond to this and/or refer me to the specific articles which I should be looking at for information?

Thank you in advance
Ray Beckwith
Network Administrator
California Credit Union League
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Extending a SmartArray 431 in Windows 2000

Ray:

"The drive swaps went great and we now have 54GB of unused space available. " Sounds Correct.

I think the problem your having stems from the warning you get when you attempt to extend a logical drive? In ACU 2.90a, your given this warning with no other information. If you were using an more current version of the Web Based ACU, you would get more info stating that it is ok to extend a logical drive on a Windows 2000 server as long as your at SP3 or better. Since your at SP4, your good to go.

I posted about this a while back, I will try to find the thread as well as the screen shots.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Image of the different warnings from ACU...

Top warring from ACU 7.x Web Based

Bottom is from 2.90a

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
RAY BECKWITH
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for that. I remember reading something to that affect but I was having trouble finding the correct posts and advisories.
RAY BECKWITH
Occasional Contributor

So it appears I should be safe based on the top screenshot (mine is the bottom.) I'll give it a try this weekend and let you know.
RAY BECKWITH
Occasional Contributor

One more thing. Should I install and use the web version 7.x rather than my version 2.90a or will either work just as well? Thanks again.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I just made the shots today from a server that I've done this on a month ago. Same situation.. 2000 Sp4, etc. so you should have no problem.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Either will work, but the it's nice to have the newer version.

The one yo uhave gives a nice status/progress bar, the new one doesn't.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE