108763 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Extending partition

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Extending partition

Hi All, can i know if diskpart works on basic disk? and what are the chances of a successful extension on a disk?
5 REPLIES 5
Prokopets
Respected Contributor
Solution

Microsoft sells it "without any warranty" (c) and it's difficult to talk about probability of success. I made the extension with diskpart several times, and it worked good, but it's a good idea to make a backup before extending.
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Hi, thanks for the input, i actually have a MSA 500 on Proliant 380 G4 running W2K3 standard server (cluster), been 3 years i guess. does diskpart works the same on any application and disk type (basic or dynamic)?
Patrick Pletscher

Hi, I did extensions of basic disks in Microsoft Clusters many times, and it always worked very well. I would recommand as well to have a valid backup and do the expand during a time, where you don't have to many I/O's, or even during a maintenance window.
As far as I know, only basic disks are supported in a cluster environment.
Patrick Pletscher

regarding your question about the application. The extension of a disk will have no impact on the application, as it will not recognize it.
Jay Cheng_1
Advisor

Thank you very much :) well i just missed my august maintenance window, september seems like a good time to do it, thank you again, really appreciate it. :D