1753509 Members
5097 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: FC30 array controller change

Steve Beam
Occasional Advisor

FC30 array controller change

Hello all, I am tasked to replace an existing FC30 controller on a K class system running HPUX 11.00. The current controllers have one processor and no battery backup. The goal is to add 2 new FC30 controllers with 2 processors each, enable cache and add a battery backup. I'm new to HP but have worked on other UNIX boxes with large scale RAID. My questions are, after replacing the controllers, do I need to reconfigure the existing RAIDS through the controller? If so will this cause data loss or does reconfiguring actually touch the drives. Not sure where the configs are maintained. Optinon 2 would be to take the second processor off the new controller, add it to the old one and enable cache. Then plug in battery backup unit(s). Is this feasible? I realize I have some footwork with the manual on the FC30 to do but wanted to shoot something out here first. Under a short deadline (really?) and need to try and cover my bases. Backups are a given.
"she'll fly apart, fly her apart then"
1 REPLY 1
Steve Beam
Occasional Advisor

Re: FC30 array controller change

Ok this is clear now, The SP's are replaceable units - I now have two new SP's with 32 MB cache and am requesting two additional 32MB Cache kits to upgrade the two exixting SP's on the two FC30 array racks. I would like to verify the size of the cache that currently exists on the SP's but can't do it through SAM and xstm is not installed. This leads me to the grid manager - I'll see if this can give me the info I need. Then I will upgrade the cache if needed on the existing SP's. Add the new SP's as the secondary SP and enable cache. Still need to research a little more.
"she'll fly apart, fly her apart then"