Event data from monitor:

Event Time..........: Fri Apr 16 09:14:21 2010
Severity............: SERIOUS
Monitor.............: fc60mon
Event #.............: 6
System..............: HPSERVER

Summary:
Disk Array at hardware path :
Array at hardware path 1/0/0/0.8.0.5.0.0.0, path 0/2/0/0.8.0.4.0.0.0: The controller in slot B has failed, or is not accessible

I have 2 FC60s connected to the server, how to know which is the failed Array? I have 4 Fiber cables connected in the back of the server to the FC60s for redundancy purposes, One of the PCI Slots in the rear/right side says:

PCI
SLOT 12
PATH 1/0

Is that the fibre cable that goes to the FC60 with the damaged Controller?

Can I hot swap that controller with a spare?

What do I need to do later?

Hope you can help.

Searching in google in the meantime.

Best regards
6 REPLIES 6
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Re: FC60 controller B down

Ok, I found the failed Array and Controller, and all my questions have been answered by the FC60 manual, except one:

The controller B is hot swappable, but... just as it? Do I need to run any command or instructions?

Regards
cnb
Honored Contributor
Solution

Alex,

It is hot-swap, but there are some caveats.

See this doc:

http://safemanuals.com/314159.php?k=d9d7e2c7f2157ba0a989358115741044&ID=923886&q=HP SURESTORE DISK ARRAY 12H AND FC60

For ACS to work as designed, your replacement needs to be close to the surviving controller's firmware revision (Been there - done that).

Make sure your replacement is the exact model configuration and Firmware (HP-UX vs Windows F/W) as there are a couple of variants that look similar but contain different firmware and won't work.

If the replacement doesn't have the same size cache dimm configuration, you'll end up with problems.

Make sure you have a good backup and Best Practices apply.

Rgds,

Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Thank you.

Is there a way to upgrade/downgrade the firmware to the level of the working controler?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
cnb
Honored Contributor

ACS is the process that will sync the firmware to the surviving controller. As long as the replacement controller has the same platform firmware (HP-UX vs. Windows) as Controller A then it should sync.

If the replacement doesn't sync. then you would need to manually flash the replacement. Just ask your parts vendor to ship the same code as you're running and you should be ok.

Rgds,
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Thank you so much cnb.

Regards
Alex Almaraz
Regular Advisor

Thanks.