1752591 Members
3577 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

FC60

FC60

I have an FC60 with 2 controllers. I don't want to use controller "B". It had no LUNs bound to it. I removed it and now it keeps sending error logs stating that the "B" controller has been removed. How do I configure it to be happy without controller "B".

thanks!
Yesterday was the first day of the rest of your life
7 REPLIES 7
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: FC60

Not good. Controller B is for redundancy and if splitting LUN ownership between controllers you can 'load balance' LUNs and throughput between controllers.
I would never do it - leaving FC60 with only one controller. Simply configured FC60 in redundant config
Eugeny

I agree. Not sure if I have a bad controller. With the controller installed..I run amdsp -c and Controller "B" reports a status of "Unknown". I can't set "B" up because it is not seen by Array Manager. It is not under support yet and I can't get approval for our company to spend $240/hr to have a CE look at it. This is probably beyond the scope of this forum. Thanks.
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Where did you read that it's beyond? Which OS do you use? I guess hpux because you have amdsp command.
Ok. What's unknown controller? This simply means that host can not query controller and get its state. Cause? Anything on the path to the controller: FC cable between FC HBA to controller B, MIA (module where you connect FC cable at the rear of the FC60), backplane (where controllers are plugged in), controller itself and host's HBA.
1. I guess that first of all you have to look at FC HBA's leds. as I remember green is power and yellow is link up (or vice versa, do not remember exactly, but the fact that BOTH should be turned on). If not, replace cable and then reset adapter with 'fcmsutil /dev/tdX reset' and see if link will come up;
2. as soon as you'll see that link is up (leds are all on) check driver state with 'fcmsutil /dev/tdX' and look if it's topology=LOOP and link is UP;
3. rescan devices with 'ioscan -fn'; check if controller B got 'CLAIMED DEVICE';
4. restart AM60 software
/sbin/init.d/hparamgr stop
/sbin/init.d/hparamgr start
5. run 'amdsp -a' and look if now controller B is claimed
Eugeny

There is known good link to both controllers. I am on 11.0 Sept. 01 release. ioscan -fnC disk shows CLAIMED paths to both. That is where I am confused. The "B" controller was working in the past and..I changed the configuration, and ever since then the "Unknown" error has come up. I was at the end of my rope when I considered removing the "B" controller. The Backplane inside of the FC60? Ewww..that can get ugly.

thanks
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Backplane is 0.00001% probability. Just for an example.
Simply try to implement my action plan, step by step, or at least last steps on stopping and starting AM60Srvr.
BTW, what controller B was showing with its front leds? Were they the same as on controller A - first on and third blinking? If not please recall led combination
Eugeny

LED Status:

Controller A: 1st light Green. 2nd off, 3rd Blink Heartbeat. All remaining off.

Controller B: 1st light Green. 2nd off, 3rd Blink Heartbeat. All remaining ON.
The FC60 book does not have a key for the remaining LEDs. Any idea why they would all be ON on the "B".

I tried stopping and restarting ARMgr. No luck.

thanks
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Please check carefully.
there are 10 leds, first from the left is power, next (amber) is fault led, and other 8 are status leds. All status (8 leds) on state indicates bad controller. But be careful: flashing 8th (left led in this 8-leds set - heartbit), 5 off and 1st off mean passive controller.
Check again carefully (better insert controller and look at indication)
Eugeny