Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Disk Arrays
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure installing Smart Array 5302 Controller

monging
Occasional Visitor

Failure installing Smart Array 5302 Controller

i've a Proliant server, and i would like to implement RAID 5 on this server, the server info as following:-
model : ML370 G2
S/N : 7232KF510013
spec : Pentium III 1.4Ghz, 1MB ECC RAM, 2 x 18.2Gb harddisk ( U3, 10000rpm)

i) i've new a HP Smart Array 5302 Controller (part#: 171383-001) as the RAID 5 controller, the card are without the Array Accelerator Cache and 2 to 4 channel adapter upgrade option.
ii) 1 new harddisk (36.4Gb, 15000rpm, U320) as RAID 5 required minimum 3 harddisks.

according to Technical guy from HP, the above 2 items can be used to implement the RAID 5, but after i installed the H/d and Array card into the server, an error shown on the screen says : 1763 - Array accelerator daughtercard is detached; please reattach. (Controller is disabled until this problem is resolved.)

according to the tenical manager which supply this Array card to me, the array card can be used without the battery and cache.

is anyone can tell me what's wrong with my configuration.

thanks.
6 REPLIES
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Re: Failure installing Smart Array 5302 Controller

HI Monging,

If you have ACU (Array Configuration Utility) installed already then run it and do this

1. Click the controller Picture
2. On the right hand side you should be able to see "Controller Settings" then click it
3. Choose the disable "Array Accelerator"

If you don't have ACU installed already

1. You can boot from smart start CD and run ACU
2. You can also download the ACU from this link and install it in your system
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1341.html?lang=en&cc=us

Select your Operating system and you will get ACU for download under "Software - System Management"

Regards
Amha Kassa
monging
Occasional Visitor

hi amhakassa,

thank you for your help.

i've tried both solution, but to no avail.

i've installed the downloaded ACU into winNT, but when i run the ACU, errors occur and i have to stop the ACU.

so i tried the smart start cd, i saw the ACU menu, but when i select the controller setting, a screen shown that array card detection process is in progress, i've wait for around 20 minutes but it still at that stage without any response, so i shut the system down.

anyway thanks for your helped.

Hi monging.
I don't believe you can use the 53xx series cards with out the battery/Cache module. Infact I don't believe you can buy it without the module. You can however buy the battery/Cache modules separatly.

As far as using your 2x18GB and a 36GB disks to create a raid 5. I think it's possible but very unconventional to use different size harddrives in a raid5. Have a look on ebay you'll pickup an 18GB Compaq/HP disk cheap.

Be aware, if you have any data on the Harddrives it will be lost when you create the raid array.

Another thought. Rather than buying the cache module for your 53xx series controller you could buy the 5i raid array module which installs and integrates with the ML370G2 systemboard. This is a very neat way to gain HW Raid with the ML370G2's but installing the 53xx controller will give better performance.
monging
Occasional Visitor

hi Mark Sherwin,

thank you for your advise.

infact i bought the array card base on the part number given by HP technical support. now only i know that this is a replacement card and it is without the cache and battery. i don't know why HP gave me that part number infact i already told them i need to implement a RAID 5 for my client which existing with no array card in their server.

so now i have no choice but look for the must have part from hp vendor, with more cost.

and do you recommend the array card running without the heatsink? infact the heatsink also not attach on the card when i bought it also.

thanks.
amhakassa
Honored Contributor

Hi Monging,

Yes you can use this controller with out the array accelarator.

The problem is, from the look of it you are trying to migrate from RAID 1 (Mirror) to RAID 5 by adding one more physica drive. Migration from one RAID lever to another requires a battrey backed cache on the controller.
Therefore, if you still wanted to migrate from RAID 1 to RAID 5 you need to buy the battrey backed Cache and put it in the controller then your problem will be resolved

Call your vendor and ask for array accelarator cache

Regards
Amha Kassa
monging
Occasional Visitor

hi amhakassa,

indeed! i've order the Array Accelerator Cache from the HP vendor.

after i told the technical manager of that HP vendor about my problem, at last he told me that the 5302 Controller card cannot work without the Cache. what a heck man, previously he told me another story.

one more question, do you think is it fine that the array card work wiithout the heatsink, because the card also without it too.

thanks.