Disk Enclosures
1748275 Members
3978 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Faulty raid controller, can I exchange it?

SOLVED
Go to solution
MartinKSFT

Faulty raid controller, can I exchange it?

I had a server that was working with 4 Drives and a controller P410i. The 2nd processor was not working, so i decided to buy a new motherboard (the same). I put the new motherboard with all old hardware. The screen remained black, but no errors on any leds.

I decided to put back the old motherboard, but it was the same ! The screen remained black even if this configuration was working fine before. I have absolutly no idea.

If i take those 4 drives on another server that have the same Controller P410i, will it work fine ? Can i also take those 4 drives within another controller, let says a 120i  ?

Please help, that's urgent.

3 REPLIES 3
ChrisTinker
Established Member
Solution

Re: Faulty raid controller, can I exchange it?

The controller determines the raid stripe algorithm.  Therefore, changing controller models could, and will most likely,  have disaster results.  However, maintaining the controller model and version is not a problem.  The only requirement would be that the drives be placed in the exact same slot order.

I am an HP employee.

Twitter/FaceBook My twin brother and I @TinkerTwinsatHP

Our Blogs are at http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/bg-p/TechnicalSupportServicesBlog

MartinKSFT

Thank you for the quick reply!

Is there any other configuration we might need to keep in mind if we exchange the card?

It seems a bit too good if it would work out of the box by just putting the old drives on the new card! Or do we need to think about something when/if any initialization of the raid-setup is needed?

ChrisTinker
Established Member

Always have a backup ready!   Always!

Regarding other configurations .. no, nothing else.  However; the drive order is essential тАУ when it prompts to wipe the drive because you have the wrong order, please select NO or ABORT.   Please reference aforementioned comment on backup.

It would be the same if you had to replace the array controller in the existing server.  When the controller initializes, it performns an inquiry of LUNS then reads metadata off the disks.  This metadata informs the controller of the layout.  The reason for the order is that all the drives know about the other drives in the raid set.  They look for the order (SCSI SCAN ORDER) and the signature on the drive.  This information is what allows the controller to resume activity.

I am an HP employee.

Twitter/FaceBook My twin brother and I @TinkerTwinsatHP

Our Blogs are at http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Technical-Support-Services-Blog/bg-p/TechnicalSupportServicesBlog