Disk Enclosures
1752630 Members
5939 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Faulty smart array card : how to make the server boot and work with another type of array card ?

Mathieu Ciarlet
Occasional Advisor

Faulty smart array card : how to make the server boot and work with another type of array card ?

My problem is the following one :
I use DL380 and DL580 servers with embedded 5i cards.
Supposing the 5i card fails and that I have no spare for this kind of card, thus I would use (for instance) a 5304 card.

I configure it as the bootable device. The logical configuration of the hard drives is identified.
My problem appears during the windows 2000 boot phase , it gives me a blue screen even in safe mode.

What have I do wrong ? must I install something for the 5304 card in DOS mode ?

Any help will be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Re: Faulty smart array card : how to make the server boot and work with another type of array card ?

Hi

Before OS boot you should get an option to go to ACU, by which Array configuration can be uploaded from disks

Regards
Mahesh
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Mathieu:

The problem lies within Windows as the OS does NOT know anything about the 5304 controller previous to the 5i failing.

All you need to do is find the right registry string in a system that has the 5304 card in it, or on the forums or the web, and import it into your OS.

Now, since your already at a point where you can't get to the OS, you would need some recovery utility to boot the server to be able to see the disks OR...

if you have a like server you can spare for 10 minutes, shut it down, swap the drives so that the system boots with on the 5i controller, import this registry key and shutdown. Put the drives back into the machine with the 5304 and it should boot up.

Sample registry key attached... the file is for a 6i controller so that you ucan upgrade your 380g2's and g3's to g4's. You should be able to use it to find the right key for the 5304.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Mathieu Ciarlet
Occasional Advisor

it seems to me I'll go for this solution.
I'll test that and keep you informe

Thank you for this solution
Mathieu Ciarlet
Occasional Advisor

[quote]
Now, since your already at a point where you can't get to the OS, you would need some recovery utility to boot the server to be able to see the disks OR...
[/quote]

Does anyone has such kind of a tool to advise ?
Mathieu Ciarlet
Occasional Advisor

maybe this address can help anyone :

http://www.winserverhelp.com/ftopic3262.html
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

Something else to try/think about...

If the server was up and running (which we're 'supposing' in your example) - you can install the 5300 controller leaving the drives attached to the 5i.

Run the Proliant Support Pack - this will load the drivers for the 5300. If the 5i fails - you switch cables over and you [i]should[/i] be up and running.

I've used that method in other situations - and I don't see why it'd hurt to have it installed on the other machines.

On a side note - the driver that is used by the 5300 is cpqarray2.sys.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

One thing I left out - remove the 5300 after installing the driver and put it back on the shelf so you can use it in a different machine if needed.