108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Fibre attached VG not activating

SOLVED
Go to solution
ANDRIEU David

Hi Steve,

It seems I have the same problem with EMC 8530 / EMC switch / HP-UX 11.0.

Do you resolve "VG not activating" problem?

Thanks in Advance,

Dave
Nobody's perfect
Ramesh Donti
Frequent Advisor

Steve,

We are seeing the same problem connected to HITACHI (HDS) 9910 (ie HP XP48). We have K360 with 2 x A3403A, latest patch/driver level, connected to Brocade 3800 with fw 3.02p in Quickloop. When you reboot, we see inconsistant behaviour, sometimes we see all the luns down one HBA, then the other, then none at all. Once the system is up, if you reset the cards using fcmsutil and do an ioscan -fn, you will see all the luns. However, if you attempt to use the luns down a path with has failed, the disks will constantly sit at 100% util, with very large times for avwait and avserv with "sar -d".

Also, on the 3800, when the server has failed to see the luns, the port is set to "loopback". So, we believe the problem is between the HBA and the 3800 switch port - not between the Disk Array and the 3800.

HP currently only support brocade 3800 fw 3.02K which we are about the load and test. Unfortunately, we did not purchase our 3800 via HP, but Hitachi, who said that 3.02p is fine. Prior to 3.02p, we had 3.02j, and Quickloop didn't work at all with other HBAs - A5158A, A6795A all set to quickloop on the switch. A mix of Fabric and QL didn't work either on this 3.02j, and only after updating to 3.02p did it work - With/without Zoning. However, now we have a problem with A3404A only in QL.

I'm counting on 3.02K fixing this problem, since HP support 3.02F and 3.02K ONLY on the 3800.

.....to be continued.
Always Keep Smiling
Philip P. Hartl
Valued Contributor

I am seeing the same problem intermittenly using a relatively simple configuration, 2-A3404A cards providing primary/alternate paths to a fc60/sc10 array. Sometimes on boot, some luns are not seen (not all), sometimes all are seen. HP has not been able to resolve. Suggests it may be a timming issue. My solution has simply been to allow the boot to continue and activate the vg's after.
Don't take life so seriously; nobody gets out alive.