5753 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Frequent multiple disk failures in EVA4400

Yaboto
Super Advisor

Frequent multiple disk failures in EVA4400

Hi,

I have an EVA4400 Storage. There is a disk failure every week. Now the situation is so worse that 2 EVA disks are failing at the same time every week. If it were not because of the double protection level, all the data would have been wiped out.
I am using Blade / RHEL5 / LVM with the EVA Storage.
Could it possibly be that I have to upgrade the firmware version ?
What are the prerequisites for firmware upgrade ?

Best Regards,
Yaboto
11 REPLIES 11
Cass Witkowski
Trusted Contributor

Yes you should upgrade to the latest firmware for the EVA4400. Do this first and see if the disk errors continue or disappear. If they continue then I would suspect they are real or someother hardware is failing.

Cass
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

What type of Disks you are using in EVA and what type of load on EVA.

You can update the storage to latest XCS (9534) and Disk image to latest.

You can get the HDD latest image from below link

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL35161/co-87106-1/HDDBundled_Image_2010_08_27.zip
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

before blindly making changes I would place a call with HP.. why jeopordize your data even more by making random changes.
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks for all your replies.

I upgraded the EVA successfully with the following:

300_09534000.SSS from XCS_09534000_Media_T4256_10039.ISO

I know this upgraded the controllers, but I don't know wether it upgraded other components like disks drive enclosures, HDD etc..

Please Advice

Yaboto
Mark...
Honored Contributor

Hi,
NO, this will not have done the disk drives.
The controllers and I/O modules (if required)are code loaded when you code load the controllers.
You will potentially still need to do the disks.
Disk f/w from here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3302267&taskId=135

scroll down and one from the bottom is the EVA HDD bundle. Download that and then read the release notes about HDD upgrades.

Mark...
if you have nothing useful to say, say nothing...
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I have provided the HDD firmware link in my earlier reply.

Just download the zip file and apply from codeload button on CVEVA.

You need to select the second option (Codeload drives online). specify the zip file and proceed.

Make sure that you dont have any vraid0 volumes. If it is CVEVA 9.3 then it will give an option to continue even if it is vraid0(continue with risk)

Else you need to delete if any vraid0 volumes and complete. It is a complete online activity which can be planned in least IO period.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software11/COL35161/co-87106-1/HDDBundled_Image_2010
_08_27.zip

Siva
Yaboto
Super Advisor

Thanks for all your replies, there are very helpfull.

Just after the controller firmware upgrade, the defauld disk group (contains Data) started levelling and the levelling is very slow: only 5% after 1 hour 8 minutes.

Please do you recommend HDD firmware upgrade in that condition or I should wait till the levelling is completed.

Please Advise
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

You can plan the same during less IO period. I have executed several times during levelling activity and didn't experience any issues.

The activity will take more time if Array is busy.