5602 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HDD different FW levels

cam9269
Regular Advisor

HDD different FW levels

Hi Guys,

I'd like to get your expert advise on our array. I have an MSA30-SB which has 7 x 146GB 15K HDDs. 6 of which is in a 1+0 RAID array, 1 being the hot spare.

These HDDs have different FW levels installed in them as listed below:
HPB3
HPB4
HPB4
HPB5
HPB3
HPB1
HPB4

Question: would this be any cause of i/o degradation on our part?

TIA Guys!!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to Disk Array. - Hp forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: HDD different FW levels

Hi,

Having mixed firmware revisions isn't necessarily a problem because you could have 7 different models of drive in the array - OK they're all 146GB 15K drives, however there are many different variants of those drives.

If you look on the firmware page here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/storage/us/locOsCat/99_56.html?lang=en&cc=us

all of the models starting BF146 are 146GB 15K drives (if I remember correctly).

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

They may all run ok, and as already stated they could be different manufacturer disks which is why they ahve different levels.

But its laways a good idea to try and keep them upto date if you can, newer firmware releases often things like scsi reset and io resets and such like and can be cause for concern.

Depends what you have it hooked upto, but a good way to check them all together is with the maintenance cd

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/28059.html

This is bootable and will lsit all your drives and updates as required at once

Andy

cam9269
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the link Rob, they are different HDDs after all, but i wasn't able to find this one from the list: BF14689BC5

Thanks for the inputs Andrew, the installer you gave me earlier is for a Proliant machine right? Do you have one that's for an RP4440? - sorry i wasn't all clear about my setup.