1748156 Members
3990 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HELP! Dead Array

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

HELP! Dead Array

Hello, I'm a n00b to these forums and scsi in general so please be kind.
I recently aquired an old Compaq Prosignia 300 with Compaq Smart 2SL Raid controller and 3x 4.3 GB SCSI Drives running in Raid 5.

I took the Array out of the Prosignia and into one of my other machines (120 mhz just doesn't do much these days, and i wanted to use thea array for back up purposes) and everything was running fine for a few days.

Yesterady i purchased a better case for the system (active cooling for the drives, 350w ps (vs 250w), and other nicities) to hopefully insure it's longevity..

I replaced all the components exactly as they were in the previous case, all the drives are in the same order, the cable is in the same order, everything. BUT!!

When i turn on the system none of the SCSI drives spin up at POST an the 2SL just stays in the initilizing phase for a good 10 minutes before finally resolving that there is an error and the system proceeds to load into windows.

Does anyone have an idea what might be wrong? I've be scouring the old Prosignia and 2SL manuals but they are kind of skimpy by modern standards and don't really go into detail on the card itslef... I've also tried unplugging all other devices in the system, and changing the slot the controller is in, and everything else that comes to mind.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks!

-esr
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Dead Array

Hi, I guess everything is Compaq except the case? If thats right, then I would sugg updating the system rom firmware and the array controller firware as well. Check out the following URL for the download of the system rom and the option rom for the array controller (under the storage controller)
http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/index.html
Hope this will help.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: HELP! Dead Array

Alright, let me explain a bit more clearly. What i have done is essentially built a new system that i would like to use the 2SL array in. The issue is that when the 2SL is removed from the Compaq Prosignia 300 it ceases to operate, hanging in initilizing stages of post until spouting out an error message. I guess what i need to know is how to configure the 2SL to work in another system...?

Thanks!

-esr