1752777 Members
6151 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HELP VA7100

Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

HELP VA7100

Have a system that has been powered off for a while. It was working fine at the time of shutdown. I powered it back up this morning and it will not mount the file systems from the VA7100. ioscan shows only the controllers, but no drives??? I went to the VA7100 web console and it showes no devices??? The DeviceDBFiles file has 0 bytes. What could have went wrong, and what actions should I take to correct???

HELP!!!!

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
8 REPLIES 8
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

There may not be much you can do. I had a similar situation with a VA7400 recently. We had it powered off for a couple of weeks before we moved it. An HP Tech. came in before it was moved and told us that a battery, on the controller I think, had run out of charge and that we would lose our LUN settings, etc. Essentially the array would be blank.

I have a feeling that is what has happened to you. Unfortunately I don't think there is anything you can do other than to recreate the LUNs and restore your data.

The HP Tech told me that you should never leave a VA powered off for very long. Fortunately in our case it didn't matter, but it sounds like you may not be so lucky.

Good luck.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Joseph,

This is a shot in the dark because I have yet to have the pleasure of working with a VA, but I have to wonder if there is a specific power up sequence like there is with the FC60. For the FC60, you have to power up the drives first, then the controller which goes out and discovers all the drives.

Pete

Pete
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

!@#$%^&*()!!!!!!

Dangit!!!!!! Is it Monday????? Ha. HP came out and set these up for the initial install. What needs to take place to reaccomplish the initial configuration??

Thanks,

Joe...
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The way I always have worked with the VA systems is through the StorageWorks CommandView software. If you have it installed, then you should type the 'cvui' command and it will put you into a commandline-driven-menu-script-program thingy. The cvui program is fairly straightforward to use. The Help command on there is your best friend; it is how I learned all the ins and outs of configuring the array.

HTH.

-Josh
What are the chances...
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

I don't have the software????

Joe...
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Joe,
if you shutdown VA from CommandView which confirms that VA did shutdown successfully or through serial port which confirms shutdown with 'shutdown > shutdown>' then you're safe - maps are flushed to the map disks (and data from cache) and after turning VA with depleted batteries on it will detect maps and load them.
Although if you simply pressed power button or cut power then maps are saved within the cache which is backed up for approximately 5 days. After 5 days maps (and data from cache contents) got lost and not flushed to the disks. I wonder if VA after powering it up detects that maps stored are not recent and become 'blank' and to restore them you need to run 'recover' from the serial port to force VA to read maps from map disks (note: please never run recover if you're not 100% sure you need to do it).
This is the way how to shut VA down.
Regarding powering on - I always do it as with FC60 - JBODS first, and controller enclosure next, although if all are powered on at once it works also. Not good idea to power main enclosure first and JBODs then within 5 minutes.
If you still has VA blank and not 'already initialized' please attach 'dsp -s' output from serial port to your next reply
Eugeny
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

Thanks folks,

I work with a field engineer, but everything was lost. Dangit!! Hardware checked out fine. We tried to recover the luns and were able to recover them. However, the system would not talk to the lun with the data. It would only talk to the 50M config lun. We were able to create a new lun and talk to it. Finally removed the old lun and recreated a new one and restore from backup. Updated firmware and upgrade to 1.06 CMDVIEW. I guess the lesson learned is don't power these things off for a long amount of time????? I guess????

Thanks again for the assistance.

...jcd...
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Joseph,
it's hard to tell something certain... usually logs are needed - at least 'armdsp -a' and 'logprn -t All -v -a' to check what has happened and what to do the next. So it's good idea to have logs analyzed prior removing LUNs/data
Eugeny