1753259 Members
5346 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 641 Array Controller - Stat:# 785

Preston Lord
Occasional Contributor

HP 641 Array Controller - Stat:# 785

One of our HP servers had a bad drive in the array on Friday. After pulling the drive and replacing it with a spare I get the following:

Background parity initialization is currently queued or in progress on logical drive 1 ( RAID 5 in array A). If background parity initialization is queued, it will start when I/O is performed on the drive. When background parity initialization completes, the performance of the logical drive will improve.

The server is running fine and this Logical drive is the one that the OS resides on. It has been a few days since the drive swap. Did I miss something?

Thanks for any help :)
7 REPLIES 7
souze

I have the same problem with a SA 642, a have the same message and it continues now, four weeks after. I was change the disk, the Smart Array, the mainboard,I passed the firmware Maintenance CD 7.40 and the message still running.

Thanks.
KevinCO

Did you ever find a resolution? I am experiencing the identical scenario and none of the forums put answer to the issue.
Preston Lord
Occasional Contributor

It just fixed itself after a week or so ... I never did get an answer ...
KevinCO

I had read some responses indicating it could take that long based on drive size. Thanks for the confirmation.
Raj Saini

I have the Same Problem. Does anyone know how long this takes ???
BakxM

Hi,

Had the same question myself some time ago. Found the answer somewhere on the HP site, can't remember exactly where!

"HP Smart Array Controllers allow parity initialization for RAID 4, RAID 5 or ADG to be completed as a background process, thus avoiding the significant delays required by controllers that do not support this feature. The warning messages indicate that this process has not been completed.

IMPORTANT: NO DATA IS AT RISK. The warning messages indicate only that the Background Parity Initialization process has not been completed. All data that has been written during this process is fully protected against a single-drive failure for RAID 4 and RAID 5, and up to two drive failures for ADG RAID.

To maximize performance during this process, the Smart Array Controller starts background parity initialization, by default, whenever there is no I/O activity for 15 seconds and stops when there are any I/O requests made by the operating system or any application. Since this process is completed as a background task, if there are any applications or services installed which result in constant disk I/O or periodic access more frequent than this 15-second limit, the constant I/O will interfere with this process.

Also, as a precautionary measure, when new logical drives are being configured, the controller will not begin this initialization process until the operating system writes to the logical drive. This will occur when the disk is formatted or a disk signature is created. In addition, these warning messages will continue to occur until all logical drives that were created in ACU are written to or formatted. For example, if five logical drives are created and only four are subsequently formatted, the warning messages will continue to be displayed."

Regards,
Marcel
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Preston and Everybody else!

That is an informational message, is not going to cause any performance hit on the system, it means nothing bad, there is not exact time that will go away some servers is two days others are a couple of weeks.

It will go away eventually, if you got another drive that fails in the mean time, does not cuase any troubles to you either.

Regards,

Jaime.
Work hard when the need comes out.