108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP FC60 Firmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
yasir mirza
Advisor

HP FC60 Firmware

I recently purchased 10 new Ultra320 SCSI 73GB drives to replace our older 36GB SCSI drives in our SC10 unit.
When I placed the new drives in the SC10, the Storage Manager 60 (Windows software to manage the FC60) reported that the drives were 'uncertified'.
According to the HP Support, there was a customer advisory (doc't ID OD050608_CW01)
stating that there was a firmware upgrade for the FC60 that would allow the drives mentioned above to be 'certified' and thus operational. Unfortunately this support document was published for the HP-Ux system only, because when I download the firmware that the webpage provides, I cannot update my FC60 using that update provided by HP with Storage Manager 60 for Win2000 Server. I have also pasted the webpage below, any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks & Regards,

Yasir Mirza

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_OD050608_CW01&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
9 REPLIES 9
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Yasir,

what disk productnumber did you bought, i need the AxxxxA number (i.e. A6725A) and their current F/W level.

The problem is that the firmware files in the update package are only made available in .frm format for STM, CommandView etc etc but you need the unwrapped version of these files to use with the SM60 utility.

When the drives are marked as 'uncertified' is their no way to configure them, despite that message ? Can you share a screenshot of that from SM60 ?

Kris
yasir mirza
Advisor

Hi Kris,

Many thanks for your kind response. To answer your question, the SCSI drive p/n # is ST373207LC from Seagate, and according to the label attachedc to the drive the firmware revision is either markes as '0003' or '0004'. It is the Cheetah 10K.7.
Also you made mention that I would need the unwrapped version of these files to use with the SM60 utility. Is there a way I can unwrap this in Win2000? Or perhaps you can kindly provide me with that appropriate file so I can use it with SM60, because there is absolutley no way I can configure those drives through SM60 despite the 'uncertified' message. I hope the abiove information will help, and once again many thanks for your kind efforts to help.

Cheers !

Yasir

kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Yasir,

i would need the HP productnumber that is normally available on the disk label or on the box in which you bought the disks,
It is in the format of AxxxxA mostly.

The HP disk partnumber on the label will also do i.e. Axxxx-69001.

If you insert the disk in the SC10 and try to use it with SM60, what F/W rev does the disk report then ? HP03 or HP04 ??

regards, Kris
yasir mirza
Advisor

Hi there Kris,

There is no HP part numbers on these drives Kris, these are drives that were not purchased from HP, but from Seagate. They are however Ultra320 SCSI.
Judging by the document ID, that I provided initially , the Seagate p/n# ST373207LC is mentioned, and is affected by the release of the firmware (ST373207LC.HPC1.frm), so I am assuming that by uploading this firmware to the controller, this will allow the FC60 to recognize the ST373207LC SCSI drives in the SC10.
Also I am so sorry but I cannot test with the SM60 right now because it is currently in production and I cannot bring it offline for the moment....I would have to schedule this.
yasir mirza
Advisor

Hi Kris ?

Can you help me out please ?

Thanks,
Yasir
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

you have bought OEM drives with generic seagate firmware on them. this is the problem!

you cannot update the OEM drives with HP firmware. Only HP drives are updatable with HP firmware.

This is why HP sells drives with there firmware on them, although more expensive, its guaranteed to work.

(otherwise everyone would by a cheap drive and update it themselves)

Also there could be leagalities involved, changing the product.

Andy
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor

Hi Yasir,

if those disks are not bought through HP, sorry but their is nothing i can do here further. It is in your own interest to use supported/tested configurations if your data is importent/valuable to you.

Kris
yasir mirza
Advisor

Already then, I guess I'll close this issue with a very big thank you to all.

Yasir
yasir mirza
Advisor

I'll see of the drives can be returned.