New Discussion

Re: HP P2000 G3 MSA -Expand volume

SOLVED
Go to solution
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

HP P2000 G3 MSA -Expand volume

Hello All,

I am using HP P2000 G3 MSA for my HP Data Protector backup on Disk. We have created a LUN of 6TB and taking backup on that. The total size of vdisk is 18TB and out of that 6TB one volume is created. Now I need to expand my this volume from 6TB to 10TB as we will get free space after deleting snap pool for this volume which we are not using anymore now.

Can any one please tell me how much time it will take approx to expand this volume as expanding a vdisk takes much time usually many days and what precautions I should take before doing this activity.

any other help in doing thsi activity is most welcome.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Regards,

Regards,
Syed
3 REPLIES 3
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor

You can expand a standard volume if its vdisk has free space and sufficient resources. Because volume expansion does not require I/O to be stopped, the volume can continue to be used during expansion.

To expand a volume
1. In the Configuration View panel, right-click a standard volume and select Tools > Expand Volume.
2. In the main panel, specify the amount of free space to add to the volume.
3. Click Expand Volume. If the specified value exceeds the amount of free space in the vdisk, a dialog lets
you expand the volume to the limit of free space in the vdisk. If the task succeeds, the volume’s size is
updated in the Configuration View panel.

The expanded volume can be done online and the space will be immediately available to use unlike vdisk expansion.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.
Syedfurquan
Trusted Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. My volume is a msater volume & I will be following the below procedure to expand it. Please let me know if I am missing something in it.

1. Remove any snapshots

2. Remove Snap pool (since now I am not replicating any volume now)

3. Convert the master volume to standard volume

4. Expand the volume

Regards,

Regards,
Syed
AnkitM
Trusted Contributor
Solution

The steps to expand a primary volume are as follows:
1. Abort any replication task that might be running on the volume user wants to expand.
2. Delete the replication set the volume is involved in.
3. Delete all snapshots associated with the volume user wants to expand.
4. Convert the volume to standard.
[Command: #convert master-to-std <master-volume-name>]
5. Delete the snap-pool of the volume.
6. Expand the volume to the desired capacity.
(Note that in order the host sees the expanded capacity, it has to be expanded on the host as well, it will not automatically appear with the higher capacity in the operating system).
7. On the secondary MSA delete all snapshots associated with the secondary volume, the secondary volume itself and its snappool. Make sure user has enough capacity on the secondary MSA to meet the new higher capacity of the expanded primary volume. The free space has to be at least 1.2 times the capacity of the primary volume(20% are for the snap-pool).
8. Recreate the replication set and initiate the replication.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question Answered when you get the correct answer and award KUDOS! to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.