1752275 Members
5411 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

HP P2000 g3 FC DC Virtual SAN Strtr Kit Question

Chris Ward_4
Occasional Contributor

HP P2000 g3 FC DC Virtual SAN Strtr Kit Question

Okay, to start I would like to say that I'm an intern with my company and we just bought this product so I apologize if my questions either have already been answered a million times or just sound unintelligent.

First, we have a few people that have dealt with the MSA 1000 series and in that older system they say that if they removed a harddisk from a vdisk set and the vdisk then adopted the spare if they put the original harddisk that was removed back into the array the vdisk would readopt the lost harddisk and put the once spare back into spare mode.  Is this still feesible?

Second is there a way to fault a harddisk without taking it out of the enclosure, maybe a cli command?

Thank you for all of your help

2 REPLIES 2
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: HP P2000 g3 FC DC Virtual SAN Strtr Kit Question

Hi, 

Zero: the MSA1000 did not have vdisks. The MSA1000-series were basically a 'modular' smartarray (64xx series if I'm not mistaken) a box.

First: Why would you take out a disk that's working? 

I don't know what would happen if the disk is OK.

Maybe the P2000 keeps track of the disks status (connection lost really if you pull it) maybe it will be marked as Bad.

If a disk is broken it doesn't make sense to me that it should be put back into the vdisk if it's put back in.

But if a disk is faulted - marked bad (this is in the metadata on the disk, the metadata can be cleared) - it will not re-join the vdisk.

On the P2000 if you put in a new disk (as a replacement), you will have to assign it as a spare for it to join any vdisk.

Second: Have you checked out the CLI reference guide? You can find the CLI reference guide at the P2000 G3 Manuals section: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=4118559&docIndexId=64180

Re: HP P2000 g3 FC DC Virtual SAN Strtr Kit Question

1st of all why you want to make the working disk as in failed state.

Have you noticed any medium or hardware errors for this ?

Can you please share the store.logs so that I can suggest you further ?

Please find the link to get the procedure and almost same for P2000 G3,

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=120&prodSeriesId=3687115&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01907232

I work for HPE
Accept or Kudo