Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Disk Arrays
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Proliant server

Dave Clarke_4
Occasional Visitor

HP Proliant server

Hello

I have the above model of server, with windows server 2000 freshly installed. There are 3 146Gb SCSI drives attached. Yet after windows has completed the initial install only 4Gb appear on the system. On reboot I am gettin the message "No SCSI boot devises present/detected". I am kinda new at the server end of things as you can probably guess. So the bios set-up is a mystery to me. Can anyone shed any light on how i may be able to get the system to recognise its full hard drive capacity??????

Many thanks
Dave
10 REPLIES
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Re: HP Proliant server

Hi,
What kind of server (model) do you have and what array controller?
regards,
Andrzej
Dave Clarke_4
Occasional Visitor

It is a HP Proliant ML370 server and a Raid 5 Array controller i think
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Wich generation server (ML370G?), which array controller type, did you use Smart Start CD - which version?
Dave Clarke_4
Occasional Visitor

It is a

ML370 G3 T03 (TOWER) Server
Compaq SMART ARRAY 641 PCI-X Controller Array
And yes it was version 7.10 of Smart Start
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Did you install in such manner:
1. Start from SmsrtStart
2. Than go to ACU and configure aray/logical disk(s)
3. Install OS via SnartStart setup?
Dave Clarke_4
Occasional Visitor

Yes i started from start smart...

ACU?

and yes chose the OS from start smart cd and then inserted the OS install disk...

Its the ACU step I aint to sure about..

In the boot up you can assign the disks to a partion and then set the array, etc.. is that what you mean? if so yes we did that, select all the three drives, raid 5
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

what do you see in Windows Disk Management? Can you post a screenshot?
You can also run ACU from Windows. Start -> Programs -> HP System Tools -> HP Array Configuration Utility

Regards,
Stephen
Manuel_53
Occasional Visitor

When you install a smart array card in a Proliant ML system, you must change the boot card secuence.

By default tha boot card is the scsi card, get inside to the options of that card (scsi card) and change this option.

1.- you must ignite the proliant, when it shows the option of enter to "cmos" of the card scsi you must enter (dont remember, but I believe that is ctrl-c or something else, the option its show to get in)
2.- When you see the options inside the cmos of the scsi card, you must choose to change de boot card to the smart array controller, and its all.

Reboot the system and then configure whith de smart start CD your system.

i hope this small indications help you.!
Dave Clarke_4
Occasional Visitor

I went into Start -> Programs -> HP System Tools -> HP Array Configuration Utility

and it sees the Logical drive i want, but.. thats the only place i can see it.. In My computer it still only chows a 4Gb Hard Drive...
Andrzej Kowalik
Honored Contributor

Dave,
If you have W2k/W2K3 and you don't want to reinstall OS you can use diskpart.exe (is free of charge) to extend windows partition.
I think its happened because you install system via SmartStart just clicking "next", "next",..., "finish".
Default settings for some MS OS/Proliant/controllers is setting primary system partition to 4GB (this came from NT4).
Using diskpart is possible if you extend logical disk fromarray controller (with ACU), or had it created and can see it in disk manager (after your 4GB partrition).
regards,
Andrzej