New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP-UX PV-LUN association

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

Stuart,

Sorry, I was getting confused about what type of array you had. We starting talking about the eva 4000 then the clariion.

powermt is a navisphere commnand that is used for the clariion CX series.

The formula I originally gave you works for finding the LUN number (scsi address) used for a virtual disk presented on the eva 4000.

Using CommandView you can see the LUN number being presended to each host for each virtual disk.

If you present a virtual disk to a hosts with the LUN number 12 then the PV paths should be Cxt1d4.

This works for the eva 3000 and 5000. on those arrays you need to run spmgr display to see which securepath device file is using the cxt1d4 paths.

With the va arrays you access these paths directly using PVLINKS.

From what I read about the eva 4K,6K and 8K. it appeared that they and the active/active version of securepath worked like the va. You could access the cxt1d4 directly using PVLINKS.

Perhaps you could give an example of the name of the virtual disk on the eva, the LUN number being used in CV to present this VD to a host and the device file names from ioscan for the paths to this VD.
Florian Heigl (new acc)
Honored Contributor

powermt is the control utility for EMC^2's powerpath software, which get's You about the same thing as securepath does ;)

And I know the spreadsheet solution You're using very well, we did that for a few years (quite incidentless).

Still, if I were to define administration/management processes, I'd simply make a single, automated task from binding lun to presenting the filesystem and update this into a database.
everytime I copypaste something I just get the feeling that this isn't the way IT was invented ;)
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor
Solution

One more thing. Yes, with CommandView you can define the LUN number to use when presenting a Virtual Disk to a host. The default is the lowest LUN number not already used by that host.

If you are sharing disks between hosts (e.g. MC/SG) I would suggest preselecting LUN numbers that are available on all the hosts and assigning the same LUN numbers for the VD to all the hosts.