New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP VA7100 Connectivity

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nagamani_1
Occasional Advisor

HP VA7100 Connectivity

Hi,

We need to connect VA7100 Storage box to Sun 280R server. Sun 280R has a HSSDC copper external connector, VA7100 has 2 100 MBps fibreoptic ports. We need to know if any fibre to copper coverter is available for VA7100 which is compliant with Sun 280R HSSDC connector. OR any HP FC-AL card is available known to work on Sun 280R.

Thanks in advance
Nag
Smile, It increases your face value
5 REPLIES 5
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Are you connect the VA7100 direct to the Sun 280R or do you use a switch or HUB. In the later case you can use a HSSDC GBIC.

Qlogic has several FC-HBAs compatible with Sun.
http://www.qlogic.com
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

The only adapters supported on the VA for Sun are JNI adapters.

If it's an option to replace the adapters and you need model numbers, post back and I'll give you a list of supported JNI adapters.

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Nagamani_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Vince,

Please give the details of the cards. again i need to know if there is a HSSDC to Fibre converter available.

regds
nag
Smile, It increases your face value
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor
Solution

Your choices are:

FCE-6460
FCE-1473
FCE-6562
FCC-6460
FCC-6562
FCE-6410
FCE-1063
FCI-1063
FC64-1063

All of these models are available with optical ports.

As I recall there is such a thing as a copper to optical converter; perhaps you can find one of these.

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Chris Vail
Honored Contributor

I do not recommend at all that you convert copper to fiber. Cough up the bucks and get a fiber card for the Sun. You're really asking for a lot of grief, I promise.

We tried this with tape drives, thinking we could save a few bucks. We did, but we lost money in the long run because the fiber/optic muxes we bought (Crossroads) are GREAT STINKING CRAP! They do little except break. I get 3-5 errors/day in my email from them, complaining that they're down.

Don't do this.

Chris