4215 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP XP1000 Disk Upgrade

avamar11
Frequent Advisor

HP XP1000 Disk Upgrade

Hi All,
We have an XP10k disk array ,with 73 GB and 146 GB disk .73 GB disk host production LUNs while 146 GB Disk host Testing environment LUNs .the LUNs are spread evenly in each disk type .For increasing capacity we are planning to replace all the disk with 300 GB disk .I know this is possible ,but do this will have any impact in terms of performance and how will be distribution of LUNs be taken care of ?

Thanks in advance .....
5 REPLIES 5
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,

disk difference

from the spindle side the drives are almost the same. But on 300GB disks you can create 2x as many LDEVs then on 146GB. This is the fake reason, why it is said to be slower...

LDEV distribution
it depends on the RAID1, then 2D+2P and 4D+4P are the supported configurations. In RAID5 the 3D+1P, 7D+1P, 14D+2P and 28D+4P are supported.

the pain is one part of the reality
avamar11
Frequent Advisor

Right now I am using 3D+1P and intend to used 3D+1P in future also ..will this migration to new disk change re distribution of LUNs..
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
you can continue with the 3D+1P or you can change it for the new drives/parity groups. The migration itself then could be done on XP10k side via the BC/CA, or AutoLUN (licensed features) or on the OS FS level...
the pain is one part of the reality
avamar11
Frequent Advisor

Thanks ..but what I am more interested to know is how the performance will be affected because of un-even spreading of LUNs and not the actual way of upgrading disk ...
avamar11
Frequent Advisor