Disk Enclosures
1751790 Members
4671 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP9000 + Sun A1000 Array is it possible?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Maxim Zhereshchin
Occasional Advisor

HP9000 + Sun A1000 Array is it possible?

Hi Experts,

Do you have any expiriens to connect Disk Array Sun A1000 to HP9000 rp5470? Is it work or not?

Also interested to know about expirience to connaect any non HP Disk arrays to HP boxes.

I have successfully connected Sun D1000 but it is only JBOD Disk Array, and don't sure about A1000.

Thanks in advace,
Maxim
4 REPLIES 4
Lester Dias
Advisor
Solution

Maxim,
The A1000 and A3500/A3500FC are of the same family of hardware raid arrays manufactured by LSI and badged by Sun. Under Solaris the software to manage the arrays is Raid Manager. LSI also sold the A3500FC equivalent array to HP and this is the FC60 array that is managed using Array Manager under HP-UX. The FC60 and A3500FC controller firmware appears to be different and therefore I suspect HP-UX Array Manager will not be able to drive the A3500FC or A1000 arrays.

You should perhaps check with LSI.

Good luck
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Maxim

Please refer to Datasheet from following link which does not certify support for the subject array on hp-ux.

http://www.sun.com/storage/workgroup/a1000/index.xml

Regards
Mahesh
Maxim Zhereshchin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot Lester. It is intresting information.
I'm looking for cheap disk array I can connect to HP9000 box. The system will use for cold reserve and I have small budget. Performance not so important in this case. There are a lot of cheap old disk array system like Sun D1000/A1000.
What you can recimmend to me?

Thanks in advance,
Maxim
Lester Dias
Advisor

Maxim,

Yes there are plenty of cheap D1000 arrays and you've proved it works. Another FWD SCSI JBOD you might consider is an HP HASS array.

If you want hardware RAID, how about an HP AutoRAID 12H? These are not the fastest of arrays and now end of life but should be cheap. HP-UX may need to be patched - the latest hardware enablement bundle for your release of HP-UX should do it. There is a management tool within HP-UX to handle these arrays.