1751789 Members
4795 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HSG80 Repalced 18 GB drives w/ 36 GB drives

Ryan Meyers
Occasional Advisor

HSG80 Repalced 18 GB drives w/ 36 GB drives

I had a virtual disk with 6 -18 GB drives in it. I replaced al of these drives with 36 GB drives. How do I get the virtual disk to recognize the extra drive space?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: HSG80 Repalced 18 GB drives w/ 36 GB drives

Unfortunately, you have to re-initialize the storage-set. I don't know what RAID level you are using, but best is to initialize the disks first, then the RAIDset or MIRRORsets, then the STRIPEset that is used to bind the MIRRORsets together. Finally, add the unit with DISABLE_ACCESS_PATH=ALL and re-assign the connections.
Ryan Meyers
Occasional Advisor

What will this do with data that currently resides on the virtual disk?
Also what utility do I use to do this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The data, very likely, will be gone. I don't know what operating system you are using, but the change will result in a larger unit with a different geometry.

You use standard ACS CLI commands for the changes.
Ryan Meyers
Occasional Advisor

Is there a way to acquire access to the new space without wiping out the data? What we are wanting to do is replace all of our 18 GB drives with larger ones to gain more space. We have done this with RA4100's in the past and it was very simple. We actually have Netware, Microsoft and AIX servers attached to and using this HSG80.
Ryan Meyers
Occasional Advisor

The operating system using the virtual disk in question is Windows 2000. The virtual disk is being used in a cluster. I've been thrown in to this to replace the drives with larger ones and know very little about this device or how it works. Please give me some detialed steps to take or point me where I can find them. Thank you.