5174 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSG80

frank_211
Occasional Contributor

HSG80

Hello,

I have an hsg80, currently we only have 1 controller with ACS 8.5f. We need to add another controller and battery.
We have ordered a controller, 2 x ACS 8.7f and another battery. Our os is Win2k.
But we have no idea how to upgrade it and the downtime involved... can anyone point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I would definitelly plan for some long downtime, at least 4 hours, maybe even 8.

There are alot of things to consider...

1. Did you purchase Secure Path?
2. What about a second SAN Switch?
3. Why do you "need" a second controller?
4. With the upgrade from 8.5 to 8.7, you will need the new 8.7 platform kit.
5. Is your Win2k box up to date?
6. What is your current configuration? That is, how many servers?
7. Extra HBA's?

Since you only had one controller, can we assume you only have one san switch as well? and one HBA in all your servers? As well, you probably do not have secure path since you only have one available port to use.

With this new configuration, you will have 2 options... Transparent Failopver mode and Multibus failover mode. Both require Secure Path. TP requires only 1 switch to work properly and be supported. MB requires 2 switches (dual redundant fabrics).

If you need help with some planning and more access to tech knowledge vs. a bazillion posts here in the forums, I am sure someone would gladly offer some assistance via e-mail/phone/remote access/ etc. I know I would.

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Yaw Eng, Law
Advisor

For the upgrade steps (not including firmware/software version compatibility check on SANswitch, HBA card, server SPM, etc...), here's the information. Refer to URL "http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storageworks/acs/g80windows.html", document "ACS v8.7 -> ACS Books -> HSG80 Version 8.7 Maintenance and Service Guide", chapter "Upgrading the Subsystem".
Andrew_168
Regular Advisor

Frank,

If you have live data of any value on this array make sure you back it up first, then do a show of everything you can and capture it to a text file. Also make sure you can jump from 8.5 to 8.7, I'm not sure that it is possible. The best advice I can give you is to pay someone who has experience of doing upgrades to do it for you (HP). Not meaning to be rude, but thats why HP has a certification process.

Andy