5542 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSV200 Please help!

Ezio CERRATO
Occasional Advisor

HSV200 Please help!

Hello,

while I was trying to fix a problem with HSV200 Controller B on my EVA4000 I mistakenly hit the button uninitialize and therefore the system is now completely uninitialize. I hope and think that the data is still sitting on the array but the configuration is lost. How can I recover the data?? Thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> How can I recover the data??

By using your backup tapes...

As far as I'm aware there is NO way to recover an EVA that has been uninitialized.

Regards,

Rob

Ezio CERRATO
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply, but I still have some doubt because if I hit from command view EVA "Initialize" the system ask for confirmation saying that all the data will be deleted .... doesn mean that the data are still there?

Then when I hit Uninitialize it last only some seconds... not enough I believe to delete 1 T of data...
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> doesn mean that the data are still there ?

Not as far as I know. You would have to ask HP to be 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain they'll tell you that there is now way to recover.

I'm curious as to how you "mistakenly" hit the uninitialize button. As I recall, you get asked for confirmation at least twice when you hit that button - either via Command View or on the OCP...

Cheers,

Rob
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

if you uninitialize an EVA, the controller throw the whole metadata away. The data maybe lay on the disks, but the controller doesn't know where. This is done by the metadata (mapping tables, diskgroup configuration, controller wwnn etc.). You can try to initialize the EVA with the same setup again, but I don't think that you will get the data back.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

> You can try to initialize the EVA with the same setup again,

some of the problems are:

- the disk areas of new virtual disks are erased to prevent picking up old data

- the EVA is a very dynamic box. Even if no configuration changes have been made since the initial setup, the EVA could have moved data around to improve performance. So new pointers can point to different data areas.