1753482 Members
4065 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HSZ80 and Sun Solaris

pcseunix
Occasional Advisor

HSZ80 and Sun Solaris

We have a Sun V440 with some internal storage. It is starting to run low on disk space.

We also have two ESA12000 storage systems with HSZ80 (SCSI front end) controllers. The ESA12000 units have plenty of disk space, and plenty of empty slots into which disks may be added.

Can I connect my Sun V440 (with the appropriate SCSI controller cards and cables) to the HSZ80 controllers? Has anyone done this, and have some experience with this? What type of SCSI controller is preferred for the Sun server?

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I've never tried this, but don't see why it shouldn't work...

Cheers,

Rob
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Don't miss to set the HOST_FUNCTION to "F" and reboot the controllers.
pcseunix
Occasional Advisor

We hope to be able to have some downtime next weekend, and will try it out then, and let y'all know how it goes.

Thanks!
pcseunix
Occasional Advisor

The quick answer is that it appears to work, but we didn't have time to do a reasonable amount of testing.

The console on the Sun (open boot PROM) appears to see 8 LUNs per target presented by the HSZ80, all with a device type of 3F. After booting Solaris with "boot -r" (reconfigure), Solaris appears to see just the LUNs that it should be seeing, and they appear to work. And, that's when we ran out of time. For the time being, the configuration was put back like it was.

More news if/when it happens.