New Discussion юеВ

HVD10

SOLVED
Go to solution
Donovan Israel Murray
Occasional Advisor

HVD10

Hi:

I have a RP5470, running hp-ux 11.00, connected to a HVD10 via two A4800A SCSI controller. I noticed that I an getting numerous lbolt messages in my syslog.log file and so decided that as a first step to resolving these messages I am going to change the SCSI ID on one of the controller to 6. However using the SCSI command from the BCH I am not seeing these two controllers. Actually what I am seeing is only:
0/0/1/0
0/0/1/1
0/0/2/0.

These two controllers are actually installed in slots 8 & 9.

I also have two other SCSI controllers (A5149A) used for connecting a DLT autoloader (thus a total of 4 SCSI controller in addition to the one on the core IO) and the DVD drive and these are not showing up either.

Any ideas on what is happening here?

Note that the HVD10 is in full buss mode (all dip switches are in the on position).

Rgds
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: HVD10

Hello,

What does ioscan shows you? If you have any "unclaimed/unknown" hardware, you have to install the drivers for it.

Slots 8 and 9 on the rp5470 should be hardware path 0/3/0 and 0/9/0 respectively.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor
Solution

It is normal not to see them in BCH. By default they are set to ID 7.

You can still use the SCSI command in BCH for the card in that hardware path i.e. use
and a new entry will be added to the list.

What is important is that if you have a multi-initiator configuration you need to set an ID different for each card. 7 has the highest priority, 6 is the second etc.

I have also heard you need to set the rate to unlimited using the command

If they do not show up in BCH it does not mean they are not there. You can double check using ioscan under the OS and check if they are claimed. If they do not appear in BCH then you assume they are ID7

Good luck

Stefan

Donovan Israel Murray
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the input guys. They do show as claimed in ioscan.

Do you think that the fact that they are both set to ID 7 is a possible cause of the lbolt messages in syslog.log?

Thanks again guys.

Rgds
Stefan Saliba
Trusted Contributor

If the controllers are on the same bus then rest assured you WILL get lbolts, it will cause a SCSI ID conflict. In a single bus you cannot have a controller or any device with the same ID. Check your cabling and see if the controllers are indeed on the same bus. If they are on the same bus then change the ID of one of the cards, otherswise if they are not you can leave them unchanged.

lbolts can sometimes be caused by scsi timeouts. You can increase the scsi timeout using the command pvchange -t and specify the timeout in seconds , say 180secs

Good luck

Stefan