108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Having trouble expanding our Array....not option to do it

SOLVED
Go to solution
davidf82
Occasional Advisor

Rob thank you very much for the information I will look into this.
However one question still lingers. If I were to purchase this additional hardware, would i still be able to expand a windows system partition?

Our current array includes the windows system partition and boot files along with apps and data, therefore I'm questioning if this will still work.

I'm thinking maybe I should make an image of the server, then create two separate logical drives, one for the windows system files, and the other for data and apps.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Hmmm... You can usually use the DISKPART utility to extend the Windows file systems, however a quick flick through the Microsoft support article here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325590

shows that this won't work on system partitions, so splitting up the system and data might be your only option.

Regardless, I would always use the BBWC option on SmartArray controllers. It will give you much better performance.

Cheers,

Rob
davidf82
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Rob for all your help,

I have read that article and other articles where some other users were able to extend even the system partition uses various techniques. I will try those (of course backing up first) and if to no avail, will just have to image everything over.

I will regardless by the bbwc. Thank you again
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Hi, although some recent Smart Array controllers like the E200 need the BBWC to be able to do RAID expansion, the Smart Array 641 does not, check it's Quickspecs:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11563_div/11563_div.HTML

The 291966-B21 product is the 641 with only the integrated 64 MB and can do Online Capacity Expansion.

And to make it clear again, the Smart Array will NOT touch the Windows partitions, those are two indepennt problems. You need to:
1) increase the size of the array
2) increase the size of the logical drive
3) increase the size of the Windows partition

The Smart Array can only do the first two.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> the Smart Array 641 does not, check it's Quickspecs

Although not mentioned in the QuickSpecs, the user guide does specifically state that you need the battery...

Cheers,
Rob