1751828 Members
5271 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hi

son_6
Occasional Contributor

Hi

what happen, when i replace Smart Array controller 641 by new Smart Array controller 6402/128 ?
pls.
5 REPLIES 5
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Hi:

You should be able to just replace your Smart Array. I would make sure the latest drivers are installed.

The drives hold the disk array configuration information and should work normally in any Smart Array controller. The Controller reads the drive configuration from the disks , loads it up and gives you access to your exiting arrays and logical disks.

Now, in a Windows system... there may be some issues, especially if your 641 failed and you are just replacing it. If the 641 did not fail, I would install the 6402 first, so that the system can recognize it and load a driver, then you should should be able to replace with no issues. The driver I believe is the same between the cards, but sometimes Windows needs to see a specific registry entry for the card to be able to boot up properly.

Is this card hosting your boot/OS drive?
What OS are you running?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
son_6
Occasional Contributor

I used smart array 641 and 2 hdd 72gb, raid 1 on server ml 350 G4.
Now smart array 641 be deaded, i replace sm 6402/128 new .I use windows 2003 server
I want to ask you some question :
- must i install raid 1 again ?
- if install again, my data can be loss ?

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

son:

You asked...
- must i install raid 1 again ?

I respond...
No, The Smart Array 6402 should read your disk drive configuration from the disks themselves and bring them up normally.

You also asked...
- if install again, my data can be loss ?
Yes, if you had to reconfigure RAID1 on the drives, you would lose all the data. You should NOT have to re-configure.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
son_6
Occasional Contributor

Thank steven a lot.

- every smart array HP can be replace by smart array HP new vesion or some model ?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I would say that most, if not all, Smart Array Controllers are replaceable by newer models. Newer models are all backwards compatible with older models.

I am not sure if there is some limit to the compatibility.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE