Disk Enclosures
1752682 Members
5726 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: High disk failure rate in 12H Arrays?

Ralph Hearne
Occasional Contributor

High disk failure rate in 12H Arrays?

I recently realized that in just over 2 years of service, we've had to replace 6 of 11 disk modules in our 12H AutoRaid array. That seems awfully high to me. Is anybody else in this forum having a lot of failures? Any opinions as to why? Comments are appreciated. Thanks. Ralph
3 REPLIES 3
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Ralph,

I presently have four fully populated 12H's and looking over my logs, I've replaced 3 disk modules in about 3 1/2 years. My past experience with AutoRAID's has been comparable.

I have to suspect some environmental condition.
Heat? Humidity? Dust? Power?

Depending on the age of your cabinet , you may have the older fan modules which had a lower flow rate. If the little fan labels are essentially flat, you have the older modules; if they are raised bubbles, you have the newer modules. In any event, I would suspect that you have a cooling problem and assumimg your HVAC system is performing well, I would have HP replace the fan modules and look for any obstructions.

The only other thing that I can think of is that you purchased your 12H on the used market and your drives have a lot of hours on them.

My 2 cents, Clay
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Fred Cook
Occasional Advisor

Hey Ralph,
I have 2 12H's filled with 18GB drives. When we first brought the boxes up, we had 1 die within 48 hours and another within a week and another within a month. My CE said the usual pattern is that if they are going to die, they'll die quickly. I haven't had a problem for months and they been running for 13 months. I have a computer room with an air conditioner blasting within 3 feet on the cabinet. I also have the 'bubble label' fans.

I'm wondering what size your drives you have. I thinking of converting mine 18GB to 36GB drives, but haven't heard how the 36's have been performing. Reply
3000 is greater than 9000 in my math book
Philip P. Hartl
Valued Contributor

Check with your CE. About a year ago I had multiple failures within my 12H. This failure escallated up the support chain. The outcome of analysis was that there was a bad batch of drives produced of which we had several (some failed,some not). HP replaced all of the suspect drives. Unfortunatly I cannot give you the method used to identify the suspect drives (I'm not sure HP told us).
Don't take life so seriously; nobody gets out alive.