Disk Enclosures
1751822 Members
5131 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I find out a World wide name?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Corley
Occasional Contributor

How do I find out a World wide name?

I have an Agilent Technologies Fibre Channel HBA (HHBA-5101C) inserted into an LP2000r.

Whats the W2000 Server util to view the world wide name for this card.

I have setup a 50Gb LON on a VA7400 via CVSDM on an L-Class and need to setup security.

TIA

Chris
3 REPLIES 3
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is no utility for win2k to see www of this card. Possible solutions are:
1. If this server is connected to brocade switch you can see www of hba connected to switch port using brocade web based tools, name server table.
2. If you can open your server and see the card you will find small label on the card called VSI. WWN = 50060B0 + VSI (label on card, 9 digits). This is port wwn. If you need node wwn add or deduct (I do not recall which one) 1 to the last digit of VSI.
3. You can edit win2k registry to increase debug level for HBA's driver. After restart driver will fill win2k event log with a lot of messages. WWN is contained in this messages. This is very complicated procedure described in detail on readme file on driver disk.
Chris Corley
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Enes.

I now have a new problem...

The Netserver now see's the 50Mb LUN. However I have 2 channels into the VA and Disk Manager (in W2000) see's the Volume twice.

Does W2000 support alternative paths?
Am I best leaving one Volume unallocated?

I have tried unplugging one channel to simulate a failure, but W2000 did not like going down the other channel. It would seem that once you create a partition and format it, you can only see it if that channel stays online.

Chris
Enes Dizdarevic
Honored Contributor

Win2k does not support multiple paths. Since your array is VA and you have HP (Agilent) HBA preffered solution for multipath is HP Sure Store AutoPath VA software. (You can find information about it on HP site under Modular Storage Software). It can work in alternate path or load balancing mode. There are other solutions which claim to work, for example Veritas Volume Manager for win2k.

When win2k has two paths to LUN without multiple path software is sees each lun twice and assigns different drive letter to each "instance" of the LUN which can cause trouble. If you can not use multi path software for any reason, broke one path by disconnecting cables or seting secure manager to allow acces to lun to only one HBA.