Disk Enclosures
1752785 Members
5705 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do i add additional Hdd into an existing array?

SOLVED
Go to solution
S.Ananth

How do i add additional Hdd into an existing array?

Hi,

The server spec:
ML570G1 with smart array 5312 controller
4x 36GB HDD (RAID 5)
C drive: 2 X 36Gb SCSI Hdd (Raid 1)contains Windows 2003 server R2
D drive: 3 X 36Gb SCSI Hdd (Raid 5)contains database and contents

Currently the D drive is running out of space. Thus i have purchased 2 units of 146Gb Hdd to increase the disk space. As far as i know there are 2 ways, one is to create Raid 1 for the 2 new Hdd and create logical drive E or add them to the Raid 5 array for D drive. Could u guys please advise on this and suggest the best solution (or other alternate solution), as well as provide me the pros and cons of my 2 solutions..

Next, how do I add additional 2 units of 146Gb HDD into the RAID 5 array and combine it with the unused space in D drive? Is it also possible to add different size of disk into an array? Can provide me step by step?

Thank you in advance guys!!
4 REPLIES 4
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Yes, you can add the two 146 GB disks to the second array, but only 36 GB on each will be used. So the drive will increase it's size in 72 GB.
Making a RAID 1 with the two 146 GB disks gives you a 146 Gb new drive (E:).
Both operations can be done online, using the Array Configuration Utility.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Probably, your best "cost effective solution" is to buy one more 146 GB disk and configure the 3 of them as another RAID 5.

I won't add them to the RAID 5 as will be a waste of space.

I won't mix a RAID 5 and RAID 5 as will be a waste of performance.

So, considering what you DO have, is probably best:

Create a RAID 1. Move your Database files to this Unit, for performance and availability reasons.

Use the old RAID 5 for less critical data and database archiving.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

And also, Welcome to the forum!

Please ensure to review how to assign points to the answers you get.

Have a nice day.

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
S.Ananth

Hi guys!! Thanks a lot for the prompt feedback... much appreciated. Anyway i was wondering about dynamic disk.. can i use the dynamic disk concepts in this problem? Can u guys please shed some light on dynamic disk? what is it, its pros and cons of using it as my solution..