Disk Arrays
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How make raid that the capacity more than 36G in 73G harddisk?

licong
Contributor

How make raid that the capacity more than 36G in 73G harddisk?

my va7100 have 7*36G and 7*73G harddisk ,How make raid that the capacity more than 36G in 73G harddisk?
2 REPLIES
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: How make raid that the capacity more than 36G in 73G harddisk?

Hello,

You have to use AutoRAID to have more than 50% access. Currently I assume you use RAID 0+1, which uses 50% of available space for redundancy. To lower that, you have to use AutoRAID, which is a combination of RAID 0+1 and RAID 5DP. In the future, RAID 5DP will be avaiable as well.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Peter Mattei
Honored Contributor

Re: How make raid that the capacity more than 36G in 73G harddisk?

This is the beauty of the VA: You don't have to care about building disk groups and putting disk in a RAID set. The 36GB and 73GB disk are formatted in equal blocks (you just get double the number of blocks on the73GB). The VA builds RAID stripes over all available disks and assures RAID protection and data distribution.
What you have to keep in mind is that due to the double size of a 73GB drive it will have to carry double the number of IOs than a 36GB drive. So your VA7100 average performance will be that of one with only 73GB drives.
I suggest you have a look in the "VA User & Service Guide", chapter Product Overview. There you find the concept and some hints.
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/manual_set/lpg28817.pdf
Cheers
Peter
I love storage