New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to add a new disk into an existing UNIT/LUN

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steve Burt_1
Advisor

How to add a new disk into an existing UNIT/LUN

Hi All,

I need to add a new disk into an exiting unit/lun on an hsg80 and I am not sure on exactly on how to do this,

I thought about creating a stand alone unit but I not sure about adding it to an existing unit

-- Steve
3 REPLIES 3
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

Good news and bad news:

BAD NEWS!! YOU CANT WITHOUT DESTROYING DATA!!!

If you want to add a new drive to an existing RAID configuration, you must destroy the raid configuration and create a new one with the drive.

GOoD NEWS!! YOU CAN CREATE A NEW RAID CONFIGURATION AND THEN ADD TO THE EXISTING RAID AS A CONCATSET.

Caution: Use the ADD CONCATSETS command only with host operating systems
that support dynamic volume expansion.

Examples:

To convert unit D0, which consists of stripeset STRIPE1, to a concatset, enter:

ADD CONCATSETS C1 STRIPE1
To add STRIPE2 to the concatset C1, enter:
SET C1 ADD=STRIPE2

MORE GOOD NEWS! MOST OPERATING SYSTEMS SUPPORT LUN EXPANSION VIA SOFTWARE.

You can create a new raid configuration and then extend your LUN by using OS utilities (extendvg/lvextend (UX-AIX-LINUX), diskpart (WIN), addvol (TRU64).
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor
Solution

Just to make it clear, you must add more than just one disk to extend your current configuration, you must add at least two for a new mirror or three for a new raidset.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steve Burt_1
Advisor

Hi Ivan,

Many Thanks for the responce after spend a a few hours working out which disks are part of the stripe set, by looking at hwmgr -show scsi -full in tru64 , on the HSG show disk full, we are going to rebuild the stripeset with its new disk.. basically start from scratch.

Many thanks for helping me come to my decision