New Discussion юеВ

How to backup VA configuration file

SOLVED
Go to solution
Veron_Le
Frequent Advisor

How to backup VA configuration file

Hi,

Today i got a question regarding VA config file that do we have any way to back-up config file in VA7110? the file stores config and info from that we can see LUNs and our VA info.

Sometime I face this VA config losing and I must re-config VA and restore my data while I aware that my data is still in my HDDs.

Appreciate all your advices,
Veron
6 REPLIES 6
krusty
Honored Contributor

Re: How to backup VA configuration file

I'm not sure by what you mean by "config file", however there are two files you can pull from the VA, the host LUN security table and the host port behavior table.

To read the host security table and using the command line from Command View:

armsecure -r -f -p

example:
armsecure -r -f /temp/sec_table.txt -p AUTORAID va1

This creates a copy of the file the VA is currently using for LUN security called /temp/sec_table.txt

To save a copy of the host security table using the command line:

example:
armhost -r -f /temp/hostbehav_table.txt

This creates a copy of the current host behavior table called /temp/hostbehav_table.txt

Hope one of these is what you are looking for.

Curt

armhost -r -
"In Vino Veritas"
kris rombauts
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Veron,

collect the armdsp -a "array-id" output since this will list you the existing LUNs and their size, redundancy group etc

However this just a text file with the config summary, this is not a file that can be used to "re-generate" the array configuration by reloading it, their is no such mechanismn in the VA7xxx arrays.

Their are commands via the serial port (VFP port) that allow you to try and recover the array's data if needed.

HTH

Kris
Veron_Le
Frequent Advisor

Hi Curt,

Config file is which store VA configured parameters such as LUN parms, VA infor parms...if our VA has problem...we just restore this file to VA, we can use VA as before problem w/o restore data to disks, sth like that.

Veron
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Veron,

HP may be able to provide you a script to preserve your configuration and use the same to regen the config.

But I guess it is an HP internal script, you can confirm this with your HP ASE.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
krusty
Honored Contributor

Hi Veron,,

Mohanasundaram is correct - there is no "config file" to backup. You may be able to get a script to save all of the information you need to recreate the VA in case of a catastrophic failure, however you will need to get that from your ASC, assuming you have HP support for that.

Curt
"In Vino Veritas"
Veron_Le
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Thanks your advise.

In my case, my VA suddenly lose config but data is still there, in HDDs. All what I can do is that restore my VA config to see all LUNs from server.

But unfortunately,one day I cannot restore because of corrupted config file sothat I must format and regen the VA config.

If are there anyway to get this file out and store it to CD or wherever.

I'll try to contact HP for this.

Thanks,
Veron