1752292 Members
4562 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to best expand array capacity?

Mindaugas_1
Frequent Advisor

How to best expand array capacity?

I have 6404 array controller and MSA30 storage with 12 x 18GB hard disks in RAID 0+1 configuration + 1 disk Online Spare. Now I want to swap these drives with 72 GB capacity disk drives. What is the best way to do this?
1. Replace drives one by one (requires a lot of time)?
2. Backup all content, replace all drives at one time and then restore all data from backup?
5 REPLIES 5
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: How to best expand array capacity?

I say: 2

- replacing 12 disks means that the system is running without RAID protection for quite some time

- you will need to extent the logical disk after you have expanded the disk array which will require additional time
Mindaugas_1
Frequent Advisor

Should I change something in Array configuration (extend array or something like that), when I changed all drives in one time?
Mindaugas_1
Frequent Advisor

And, if my restore process fail, if I can to put old drives to array in the same sequence and all will works fine?
KurtG
Regular Advisor

There are mulitple thing you can do.

1. You can backup youre current array configuration with the ACU/XE command line interface. Syntax should be in the ACU/XE documentation.

2. Power down an remove physical disks. Be very carful to know where the disk belongs if you need to put them back.

3. Power up MSA and remove the "failed" array in ACU/XE.

4. Add new disk. Configure new raid/lun. Restore data from tape.

If anything failes, remove the "new array" configuration in ACU/XE. Power down and put the old disk back. Boot the MSA. If the MSA are not able to read the old array configuration from the disk, use the configuration made in step 1.

KurtG

Mindaugas_1
Frequent Advisor

My configuration on SA6404 is:
1 chanel - RAID 1 (OS)
2 chanel - RAID 1 (DATA)
3,4 chanel - RAID 1+0 (DATA)

If I remove all array configuration I lost my other's logical disks configuration and data. If I can delete only RAID 1+0 configuration?