1752630 Members
5918 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to extend a RAID 5 on DL380 G2

George McCullen_1
Occasional Advisor

How to extend a RAID 5 on DL380 G2

I would like to add a fourth 18gb drive to my current RAID 5 set. The system is a DL380G2 with a Smart Array 5i controller running Windows 2000. There's currently 3 18gb driver is a raid 5 set that hold a C: and a D: partition with Basic disks. Can I add a new drive without deleting any data?
2 REPLIES 2
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: How to extend a RAID 5 on DL380 G2

Hi George,

Approach A:
I believe SA 5i is not allowing you array expansion (?). You could confirm it by running ACU (Array Configuration Utiltiy) and then selecting your current array and see what options you have. If you do not see an option for array extension, then tough luck :(. If it does support array extension, upgrade the SA5i firmware to the latest version, upgrade Proliant Support Pack to the latest version 7, backup the entire logical drive prior extension of the array. I still doubt SA5i allows you to do that. I know SA5300 &SA6400 allows you to do that off the top of my head.

Approach B:
I know you won't like this solution but the other approach is backup everything, delete the array, recreate a raid5 array with 4 drives and restore. However, the fact that you have system partition on it also warrants a fresh system install if you take this path.

Approach C:
You may like this approach, you will need another drive, create a RAID 1 set with your two drives, create a logical drive and present it to Windows 2000.
Use Microsoft Diskpart uility to extend your basic disk partitions to capture this additional disk space.
This works like a treat.

Hope this was of help and I earn some points:)

Regards,

George McCullen_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: How to extend a RAID 5 on DL380 G2

Thanks for the info. The last option sounds good to me.