Disk Enclosures
1752571 Members
5116 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to increase the size or RAID1 array?

deniss

How to increase the size or RAID1 array?

Hi,

I currently run DL360 server with 2x36G disk in RAID1 array.

I have 2x72G disks spare and I would like to have them running in my server instead an old pair of 36G ones with minimum downtime possible...

Have anyone done similar tasks? Seems to me like a rather common thing to do but I cannot find any useful references on this subjec.

I can think of two possible options -

1. replace one 36g with 72g, let it rebuild, replace second 36g with 72g, let it rebuild again... then use something like partition magic to increase the partition size.

2. Find a bigger server, put 2x72g in it together with one of 36g ones, create partitions and copy the data..

Any comments of both options? I'm not sure if any would actually work - do I need to re-create arrays at any point? Would I loose the data when doing so?..

Any suggestions are appreciated, especially from own experience!

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
OFC_EDM
Respected Contributor

Re: How to increase the size or RAID1 array?

Which OS are you running?
The Devil is in the detail.
deniss

Sorry, forgot to mention - I'm running Linux (Fedora).

If this makes any difference, the server is HP DL360 G3, I'm using standard built-in Smart Array 5i controller.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

your first idea is OK

"
1. replace one 36g with 72g, let it rebuild, replace second 36g with 72g, let it rebuild again... then use something like partition magic to increase the partition size."

you replace one HDD a at time let it rebuild.
and after that you need to extend the new size

check this thread it talks about that
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447626+1208399270602+28353475&threadId=1027500

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!