Disk Enclosures
1748245 Members
3747 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

How to rebuild ata raid 1 in DL320 G2 ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Zimmermann Ren├й
Occasional Contributor

How to rebuild ata raid 1 in DL320 G2 ???

Hello,

I have a DL320 G2 with 2 IDE 80 GB HD. I have configured a RAID 1 array.

RAID Utility says, that one HD has status failed. We replace the failed HD with a new HD.

Now the RAID Utility says that the replace HD is configured as a RAID 1 in Degraded Mode and the working HD is configured as RAID 0 with Online Status.

What do I have to do, that the new HD will be rebuilt?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Ren
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: How to rebuild ata raid 1 in DL320 G2 ???

Have you tried removing the RAID 0 from the new drive? I think that once you clear the config on the new drive, the controller will see that you now have a drive it can use to rebuild a degraded array.

I don't work much with DL320's/ATA, but would think that the controller is smarted then a standard IDE controller.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Zimmermann Ren├й
Occasional Contributor

Hello Steven,

I have just tried what you said and it works !!!

I have deleted the RAID 0 configuration on the replaced HDD and configured it as spare.
Then I have rebooted the server and he's really rebuilding the RAID 1.

Great help. Thanks a lot :-)

Greetings from Switzerland
Ren├Г
ALEX LERMAN

I also have a DL320 G2 and I desperately need to rebuild my RAID 1. However, when I choose

>>Rebuild Array

It says "Invalid Source/Target..." and it refuses to rebuild.

I've tried deleting the other array and adding the new drive to the spare pool, but I guess I'm still doing something wrong.

If you have any experience with this, could you please help by listing the specific steps I need to follow (I'm very worried about losing my last good drive with all it's data!)
Zimmermann Ren├й
Occasional Contributor

Hello Alex

You have to do the following steps:

1. Shut down the server, remove the failed harddisk and replace it with a new one.
2. The new harddisk will be displayed in MegaRAID Utility as an own array. Delete this new array and add the new harddisk to the spare pool.
3. Save the configuration in MegaRAID utility and reboot the server normally.
4. If you log on to windows you will see the MegaRAID utility gui which shows you the rebuild state of the new harddisk.
ALEX LERMAN

Hi again Zimmermann Rene and everyone...

The only MegaRAID Utility GUI that lives on my dl320 is "MegaRAID IDE Spy" which only tells me that the raid fails. How can I discover if I have the necessary utility already installed for the rebuild to proceed in windows?

Thanks again!!!

-Alex
Zimmermann Ren├й
Occasional Contributor

Hello Alex

That's right. Under windows you will only see the MegaRAID IDE Spy and nothing more.

If you have set up your server with the HP SmartStart-CD you can be sure, that all necessary tool have been installed on your server.

So, proceed like described above and your new hardddisk will be rebuilt automatically.

Rene
ALEX LERMAN

Ren,

Thanks again for your valuable help - I don't know what I would have done without your assistance! It's finally in "rebuilding stage"; here is a tip for anyone also having the same problem: it only started rebuilding after i turned on these three services to "automatic startup" and rebooted:

snmp trap service
removable storage
Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service

i am guessing that the snmp trap service is the important one; use any information here at your own risk!

Best regards,
Alex Lerman