4309 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hp 6g BL Sas switch can't see MDS600

drolfe
Valued Contributor

Hp 6g BL Sas switch can't see MDS600

Hi All,

I'm having a problem with my 6g sas blade switches working with a second hand mds600 i got recently. 

the link below states:

"""NOTE: For MDS600 6Gb host connectivity , P711m firmware 5.32 or higher, 6Gb BL SAS switch firmware 2.0.1.0 or higher and MDS600 firmware 3.44 are required."""

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm//WF05a/12169-304616-3930445-3930445-3930445-3936271.html?dnr=1

I've got fireware 2.86 on the MDS600 and latest on sas switches, problem is I can't upgrade the firmware from the switches due the above.

I plan to connect the mds600 to some 3g sas switches and update the firmware so that the 6g switches are support.

I'n the mean time I'm really just wanted to confirm that my VSM error messages are caused by the firmeware issue and that I don't have some other issue here.

Please see attached screenshots of the errors in VSM

Any help you could give me would be great.

Regards, Daniel

23 REPLIES 23
drolfe
Valued Contributor

see attached

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

The messages seem clear enough.  Update the firmware and I would bet you will be good to go.

-Bob

----------------
Was this helpful? Like this post by giving me a thumbs up below!
drolfe
Valued Contributor

no luck,

I have connected the mds600 (ssa70) to the 3 gig switch that I got basically just a firmware upgrade but it's shows the same errors as attached

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

Well, the errors only state there is no redundancy, but that is due to only having one switch installed.

What if you select the storage box itself from the Maintain tab? Do you see accurate information?

Have you tried resetting the MDS600 after moving to the 3Gb SAS switches?

-Bob

----------------
drolfe
Valued Contributor

Yeah it's the path failure errors that are the real issue, I haven't power cycled the mds600 since the change to 3 gig Sas but this really shouldn't be required. I'll get the DC to power cycle tonight and see if it helps
Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I haven't power cycled the mds600 since the change to 3 gig Sas but this really shouldn't be required

Agreed, but I have found that the MDS600 controllers do require a reset when changing topologies.

-Bob

----------------
drolfe
Valued Contributor

the MDS was rebooted, still the same issue

I did find the below thread on this forum with someone having the same issue. Seems there is a manual firmware update procedure but I can't really unerstand what needs to be done.

see below :

3G-SAS-switch-to-MDS600-unable-to-connect-due-to-SSA70-path

drolfe
Valued Contributor

I've also tried to roll the firmware back on the 3gig sas switch to 2.0.47.0

I'm still getting the same error and I can't upgrade the firmware

Robert_Jewell
Honored Contributor

I had found the following regarding updating of the MDS600 F/W via the SAS Switch:

1)      Stop host traffic and power down the blade servers.

2)      Access the VSM for the active switch.

3)      Within VSM access the Maintain Tab and select Update Storage Enclosure Firmware.

Note:  If this option is not displayed then consider the following:

• All server blades that map to this storage must be powered off.
  • If the switch has a status value other than Active or Not Redundant, firmware updates are not allowed.

From the last pics you posted, the 3Gb SAS Switch was in "Not Redundant" mode, so can you confirm that the blade servers that are mapped are powered down?

-Bob
----------------