cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hp EVA 4000 has to be shut down every day

roxyboby
Occasional Contributor

Hp EVA 4000 has to be shut down every day

Hi I Have a funny but kind of serious question here. 2 of our clients who have an EVA 4000 have to shutdown their entire setup every day because of the location they are in. There is no power on site and they run on generators. So every evening they shutdown their servers and EVA's before they go home. Is it a good idea to be shutting down the eva's every day. I was told by someone that once the EVA's are up, you only bring them down for maintainence or if there is a problem!!!

I would appreciate if someone could direct me to any doc which documents this.
2 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp EVA 4000 has to be shut down every day

> I was told by someone that once the EVA's are up, you only bring them down for maintainence or if there is a problem!!!

This statement is a marketing statememnt to indicate that the EVAs do not need downtime and they are always up.

I don't see anything wrong with shutting the EVAs down on a daily basis. As long as you follow the right sequence and everything shuts down gracefully. Somebody else might tell you that all these power on/off events will put a strain on the electronics and will have failure incidents on trays and disk drives.

But we power off our PCs on a daily basis and multiple times during the day and they do not fail so why would an EVA be less tolerant than a PC?
Amar_Joshi
Honored Contributor

Re: Hp EVA 4000 has to be shut down every day

Hi,

There is no restriction on such poweroff and poweron but major concern is on the disks. Disks have moving parts, which makes them hot and while in off position they are cool to the external temp. Most of the disk manufacturer will be against doing it unless it's really really necessary. As a result of occasional on/off, you "may" see an increase number of disk failures. Because of high speed rotation and more number of spindles it's not fair comparison between a storage hdd and a laptop hdd.

My 2 cents worth.